Skip to main content

What Does it Take to be a Good Soldier for Christ? - Part 5

"An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules" - 2 Timothy 2:5

A soldier competes according to the rules.

When an athlete competes, and the Greek verb used here for compete means to express great effort and determination, he must give is all he's got.  He cannot go half-speed and expect to win the prize.  Olympic athletes don't just train every four years.  They are constantly working to better their bodies and their skills.  They know that if they do not compete at their best that the odds of winning are unlikely.

I'm sure we have all heard the phrase, "All is fair in love and war."  But there are still some rules of engagement that the military must practice.  And there are rules in any sport that athletes must follow if they want to be crowned the winner.  Even if an athlete wins, if he is found out to have cheated or broken a rule, he will then be disqualified. 

As Christians, we cannot tell others what the rules are, and then not live by them ourselves.  I believe that people pay twice as much attention to what we do as to what we say.  Our successes in business, in life, and even in ministry won't matter if we lied, stole, or cheated our way to the top.

Work hard, do what it takes to be crowned.  But do so within the will of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n...

Planes Fly in the Sky

Let me be very honest and candid about this - when I first read about the proposed airplane tax cut, I was not happy (just say it, I was mad!).  I thought that it was ludicrous to consider cutting tax revenue while counties are already struggling due to decreased sales and collections of local taxes.   However, unlike many people in today's culture, I didn't take to social media to start talking about how stupid the idea was and how much I disagreed with.  Instead, I started doing some research.  I looked up some information, asked some questions, had some conversations, and I learned some things. This was important for me to understand because I own a boat (I consider planes and boats luxury items) and pay Union County property taxes.  However, that boat hasn't been in Union for years.  It's housed and operated in a neighboring county.  There's not even anywhere that I can safely and legally operate my boat on public property in Union, yet I stil...

The New Normal

When all of this COVID, Coronavirus, and pandemic talk first started, I literally got sick of hearing the phrase, "the new normal."  I heard sermons preached talking about what is normal.  I even preached one that I titled, "The Next Normal."  But what if these "new normal" people are actually onto something? When I was growing up, a normal summer consisted of a lot of time with Mom.  She was a school teacher so we were all out for several (probably stressful) months together.  She, my brother, and sister would spent countless hours at the pool and make several trips each year to stay at my aunt's house in the lower part of the state, about 30 minutes from the beach.  That was normal for me. But now, 30ish years or so later, life for my children (and their precious little grandchildren) looks very different - almost like there's a new normal in town.   My parents worked hard, sacrificed, and saved for years before purchasing a lake house in 2010 - ...