Skip to main content

Spiritual Disciplines (2of4) - Prayer

Prayer

The second most important spiritual discipline is prayer.  It can be argued that there are anywhere from 9, 12, or even more spiritual disciplines but Carl Lundquist stated that “Whatever varying religious exercises we may practice, without the two basic ones of prayer and Bible reading the others are empty and powerless.  We are expected to pray. 
                Matthew 6:5 “And when you pray…”
                Matthew 6:6 “But when you pray…”
                Matthew 6:7 “And when you pray…”
                Matthew 6:9 “This, then, is how you should pray…”

Colossians 4:2 tells us to devote ourselves to prayer.  We are all devoted to something, most of us are devoted to too many things, I know I feel spread too thin a lot.  But when we make something a priority we make sacrifices for it, we dedicate time to it, and God is clearly calling us to be devoted to prayer.  After all his son Jesus prayed.  Luke 5:16 tells us “But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed”.  If Jesus needed to pray, how much more do we need prayer?  We aren’t expected to be perfect at praying as soon as we become a Christian, prayer is learned, which is a good thing because that means we can get better at it.  I read one book where prayer was actually compared to a crying baby, which I’ve heard a lot of recently.  When a baby cries he is crying for basic communication, and our prayer lives may start out that way.  But just like babies learn to talk we should eventually learn to pray deeper and more effectively.  And the best way to learn to pray is by praying.  We also learn to pray by praying with others.  One of the most powerful things for me over the last year has been the prayer at the deacon meetings.  At the end of each meeting, we go around the room and we all pray for a specific prayer request and anything on our mind.  Hearing these men pray has helped my prayer life, not by learning phrases that sound good in front of the church, but by learning principles of prayer: how to pray for those in need, how to express thanks to God, how to pray for the needs of our church. 
I want to challenge everyone reading this to plan to pray.  If you want to take a week-long vacation you don’t just wake up one morning and say “Hey, let’s go!”  You wouldn’t have anything packed, you wouldn’t know where you’re going, or even if you had a place to stay.  But we do that every day with our prayer lives.  We get up and at the convenient times we bow to pray for a couple minutes.  But we don’t have a certain time, place, or procedure for our prayer…if we plan to pray we will be more apt to do it and it will move us into a deeper relationship with Christ.  If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

#discipline #prayer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit