Skip to main content

Happy New Year 2015!

Well 2014 was definitely a life changing year for me.  I like to look back at what my goals/resolutions were last year to make sure I met them and to see how I've advanced since then.  I would have to write a separate post to truly do a full review on 2014 but it's humbling to look back at what all took place last year so I'll try a quick review before getting into 2015.

In February Brittnee and I found out that were going to having a little baby boy.  You can see by the many posts that have followed regarding Thomas just how much of an impact he has had on my life.  We were blessed with getting a few snow days to play this year which is always fun.  I was able to participate in a few obstacle course races and survived those with no injuries so that's a plus.  I had a good time growing my first garden by myself this year and learned a lot about hard work but also just how rewarding it is to take something from seed to table knowing that you grew it yourself with the Lord's help.  Thomas's birth was just HUGE because no matter what people tell you about it you just don't know until you experience yourself.  Overall, 2014 was an amazing year.

My goals and challenges below are more longer term, measurable goals, than just some little new year's resolutions.  I want to be great.  To truly achieve greatness it takes time, hard work, and discipline.  Improving yourself is about progress, not perfection - "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway

I've based most of goals lately on several categories stemming from the idea found in what I sort of consider a life verse of mine in Luke 2:52 which reads "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men".  I consider the wisdom to be mentally, the stature to be physically, and favor with God and men to be relationally.  I like the idea of looking at goals from a spirit, mind, body stand point.

Spiritually:  Last year I challenged people to read the Bible in a year.  I took it on and completed it.  I would still encourage anyone who hasn't done it before to do it because it's an awesome sense of accomplishment you get when you complete it, and the spiritual growth you get from that daily time with God is immeasurable.  However, this year I'm not planning on reading the entire Bible.  I want to do several studies to really dig deeper into it and learn more about God's word so that's my plan.  I also am going to attempt to memorize 52 bible verses this year, that's 1 per week!  That's going to be tough but I feel it will help me to be a better witness for the Lord.  I also plan to spend more time in prayer thanking God and praying for others because honestly I have fallen off in that area some.  "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." - Psalm 119:105

Physically:  I'm working running back into my workouts.  I had not been doing that as much so I've got to get that going since my defeat in the beast race back in October.  I went thru a good bit of back pain this past year so I know how truly thankful I should be for my health and the ability to even get up and move around some days.  It sounds so cliché but if you're not exercising you've just got to get up and start doing something.  20 mins a day, then 30 mins a day, then up to however long you can go.  Most people didn't get overweight and out of shape over night and you're not going to get skinny and back in shape over night either.  Back to my goal now, I want to finish in the top 5% of my age group in the 3 Spartan races we plan to do this coming year.  That means I've got some training to do since I barely made in the top 10% last year but hey, there is no greater motivation than defeat!

Mentally/Professionally:  This one is difficult for me to set firm goals because a lot of my potential growth at work is somewhat based on the economy.  I'm not using that as an excuse, I'm saying that I may not have to work hard to have a good year if things are just awesome and everyone refinances because of rates.  What I can focus and work on is doing my work "perfectly" with fewer exceptions and mistakes, working the small things and being disciplined in daily and weekly activities.  I believe that 2015 will be a great year for me there as long as I follow God's will and plan for my life and seek his guidance in all that I do.

Nothing magical happened last night at midnight.  So take a few days over the weekend to pray about the changes that may be needed in your life and make a plan to make those changes starting next week, or whenever that plan comes together.  Every day we wake up is a chance to start fresh.  "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" - Philippians 3:13-14  You can't change yesterday, but you can change tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit