Skip to main content

No Turning Back

Many of you may know the children's song "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus."  If not, it has a couple lines that read "I have decided to follow Jesus, no turning back, no turning back."  And if you'd like to listen to the song the link is below (I think):
https://youtu.be/S8jvfdDtoqY

In 1 Kings 19:19-21 we read the story of Elisha being called to follow Elijah.  When Elisha received the call he fully committed himself to following.  After having a farewell banquet, or modern day going away party, he slaughtered his oxen, burned his yokes, and plowing equipment.  Elisha made it nearly impossible for himself to turn back as he gave up his previous life and occupation of farming by destroying all those things to follow the call.  This was his public commitment that he was going to follow the prophet Elijah.

I think sometimes we take the commitment to follow Jesus lightly and think that just saying it will sound good to others and make us feel better about ourselves.  But following Christ comes with a cost.  To be truly devoted to God, we may face difficult decisions about relationships, finances, and other living arrangements.  But no matter what we give up to follow Christ, the promise of salvation vastly outweighs the potential cost. 

Matthew 16:25 reads "For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."  If you're unsure of where you're being called in life, seek God first.  He will offer you guidance to know what to do, provide you with the opportunities to follow, and the strength to handle it. 

If you're not a Christian, I encourage you today to consider following Jesus.  There will be costs along the way but I promise you it will be worth it.  If you are a Christian, take a look at your life and make sure you really have decided to follow Jesus and that there is nothing in your life that could cause you to turn back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n...

Planes Fly in the Sky

Let me be very honest and candid about this - when I first read about the proposed airplane tax cut, I was not happy (just say it, I was mad!).  I thought that it was ludicrous to consider cutting tax revenue while counties are already struggling due to decreased sales and collections of local taxes.   However, unlike many people in today's culture, I didn't take to social media to start talking about how stupid the idea was and how much I disagreed with.  Instead, I started doing some research.  I looked up some information, asked some questions, had some conversations, and I learned some things. This was important for me to understand because I own a boat (I consider planes and boats luxury items) and pay Union County property taxes.  However, that boat hasn't been in Union for years.  It's housed and operated in a neighboring county.  There's not even anywhere that I can safely and legally operate my boat on public property in Union, yet I stil...

The New Normal

When all of this COVID, Coronavirus, and pandemic talk first started, I literally got sick of hearing the phrase, "the new normal."  I heard sermons preached talking about what is normal.  I even preached one that I titled, "The Next Normal."  But what if these "new normal" people are actually onto something? When I was growing up, a normal summer consisted of a lot of time with Mom.  She was a school teacher so we were all out for several (probably stressful) months together.  She, my brother, and sister would spent countless hours at the pool and make several trips each year to stay at my aunt's house in the lower part of the state, about 30 minutes from the beach.  That was normal for me. But now, 30ish years or so later, life for my children (and their precious little grandchildren) looks very different - almost like there's a new normal in town.   My parents worked hard, sacrificed, and saved for years before purchasing a lake house in 2010 - ...