Skip to main content

The True Christmas Spirit - Luke 1:46-55 (Part 5)

The Object of Worship
We've looked at Mary's attitude of worship, but what is the object of her worship?  Mary's soul magnifies the Lord, and her spirit rejoices in God my savior.  All worship goes to God our father.  Luke 4:8 reads, "You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve."  In order to worship him, he has to be your savior.  If God's not our savior, if he isn't all knowing, all powerful, all present, and if he hadn't saved us through Jesus Christ, why would we be worshipping him?  No one writes hymns about hell, judgment, and condemnation.  If God was not our savior, we wouldn't be worshipping, we would be hiding in fear.


The Cause of Worship
Why are you worshipping?  As one speaker puts it, what's your why? 

We worship God because of what he does for us personally.  Mary says in verses 48 and 49 that "all generations will call me blessed", and that "he has done great things for me."  Why was Mary blessed? Because an all powerful God had done great things for this lowly sinner like me and you.  Worship begins with your personal experience of salvation through Jesus Christ. 

We worship God because of what he has done for others.  Verse 50 tells us that God's mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.  God has done good works all throughout time for both believers and non-believers.

We worship God because of what he has done for his own people.  Look at Luke 1:51-54.  God has shown strength and taken care of those who love him.  He has scattered the proud, brought down rulers, exalted rulers, fed the hungry, and helped his servants.

So what causes worship?  Salvation personally, provision generation after generation, and faithfulness of God to meet the needs of his own people.


Perhaps John Francis Wade best summed up this season and the true spirit of Christmas; "Oh come let us adore Him, Oh come let us adore Him, Oh come let us adore Him, Christ the Lord."

Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit