Skip to main content

Attempting to Understand the Trinity

A.W. Tozer once wrote, "What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us."  After reading that statement, ask yourself these two questions:
- Who is God?
- What is God?

I did this last night at AWANA and received pretty good answers including Savior, Creator, Father, good, and "those three things."  Those three things as one child put it, show the complexity that it takes to understand the Trinity.  While the term, Trinity, is not mentioned in the Bible, we do see throughout God's word that He exists as one God, but in three persons.

The Trinity Seen in Creation
First, we see the Father.  Malachi 2:10 reads, "Have we not all one Father?  Has not one God created us?"
Second, we see the Son.  John 1:1-4 reads, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things are made through  him, and without him not any thing made was made.  In him was life, and the life of men."
Third, we see the Holy Spirit.  Genesis 1:2 states, "And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters."
Lastly, we see all three as one in Genesis 1:26 - "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness."

The Trinity in our Prayers
Matthew 6:6 tells us, "When you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret.
Jesus instructs those listening to him numerous times throughout the gospels to ask in His name.  "If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it." - John 14:14
At times, we may be struggling in our payer, but we have help.  "The Spirit helps us in our weakness  For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words." - Romans 8:26

Jesus Speaks of the Trinity
In Matthew 28:19, Jesus gives us this command; "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

A Couple of Examples
So we see that God exists as one being, but has three distinct identities.  How do we begin to comprehend that?  I showed the AWANA kids my name tag from work and we began to look at the different names that I go by.  Most people call me John.  Thomas calls me Daddy.  At work, I'm a loan officer.  I'm a son, a brother, and a friend.  Britt even calls me Sweetie sometimes (NOT!).  Just because I go by several different names, does that mean that I'm more than one person, of course not.  In the same way, God is one God, though his identity defined through three different names, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

We then went into science mode and began to look at a common element here on earth, water.  Or to be more technical, H2O.  When most of us think water, we think of it in its liquid form that we drink.  But on those hot summer days, we also enjoy water in its solid form as ice.  And if we are boiling water for cooking, we see the steam, or water vapor, coming off in the form of a gas.  So water can appear to us in several different ways, but it still remains at its core H2O, no matter what form it takes.  In the same way, God is God, whether he is in the person of God the Father, God the Son, or God the Holy Spirit.

One writer stated that God can be described as one "what" and three "who's."  The concept of the Trinity can be difficult to fully comprehend as a child or an adult, but maybe we aren't supposed to fully understand it anyway.  "After all, if we believe God to be infinite and all-powerful, we should never expect to condense Him into a formula we can understand."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit