Skip to main content

I Wasted Ten Years of My Life

My life is far from perfect, but it is very good.  I don't say any of this to brag on myself, but with a Galations 6:14 attitude of only boasting in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I'm 33 years old, happily married, have a healthy child, close to completing the construction of a home (too nice for me thanks to Britt), in pretty good physical shape, and have a good job.  I would consider a lot of things in my life a success right now, by both my personal standards and worldly standards.  I am truly blessed to be where I am, especially considering how I got here.

I wasted about 10 years, or nearly 1/3, of my life so far.  I think back to who I was, what I did, where I went from the ages of about 15-25 and I'm fortunate to not be in a much worse position than I currently am.  Many of the decisions I made during that time were not the smartest, and could have had dire consequences.  But it wasn't all bad.  During those years, I graduated from high school and college, and even got the job that I still have, and am thriving in today.  So how could I call that time a waste with so many good things that happened?  It's simpler for me to break it down area by area to explain.


Intellectually.  I did not apply myself in high school.  I didn't have to.  It wasn't difficult or challenging to me.  Perhaps I should have because that attitude left me unprepared for college.  I went from cruising through school with practically all A's to losing part of my scholarship at PC for failing to maintain the required GPA.  That could have proven disastrous but for the grace of my parents to assist me more financially in completing my education.  I messed up for not trying, but was saved by the grace of someone who should have been disappointed in me.  Yet they were willing to sacrifice more to help make me better.  Sound familiar? 


Physically.  In the last few years, I've gotten into obstacle course racing (OCR) and other fitness activities.  Again, I'm now 33 which I feel is young but would make me an old running back in the NFL.  Don't get me wrong, I feel that I am in good physical shape compared to most people, especially those my age with similar life situations (full-time job and family).  But I can't help but wonder, what if instead of eating junk and not truly pushing myself to workout harder when I was younger, where could I potentially be?  Now I look at what I plan to accomplish in 6 months or a year, but then I just went to the gym to be going to the gym.  I wasn't keeping up with what good athletes were doing, I was just playing in the gym with my buddies basically.  I'm not by any means saying that age is an excuse to not better yourself, I'm saying that I wasted years of not training that I can't get back now.  Don't make that same mistake.


Spiritually.  This one may be the most humbling to think about.  I can honestly say that I wasn't "playing church" when I was in high school and college.  But I don't say that in a good way.  I wasn't playing because I was just spectating at church.  I went on Sunday mornings and watched, but I wasn't getting involved enough to risk Coach calling me into the game.  I watched all the older people and figured they were the ones who were supposed to be doing things in church.  I thought I had to be older and better before I could have an impact, ignoring the fact that Jesus was crucified at around 33 years old and look at the impact He had.  Now I so clearly see that younger people, teens - 30s, can have major impact on kids because that's who the kids in church look up to.  To children at that young age, you are the ones they want to be like because you're the cool person to them, not their parents.  It is never too early, nor too late (until death) to start taking your spiritual life seriously.  If your life has been all good, count it a blessing.  If you've had some ups and downs, let God use your past, your story, to help someone else.


Socially and Relationally.  Well, I really have to start this section off by apologizing to most of the girls I dated, called, texted, instant messaged, and tried to date during those years.  I was not someone worth dating at the time, though you couldn't have told me that then.  I looked for the wrong things in relationships valuing status and control over love and happiness.  I know I made a lot of mistakes in relationships during those years, but I don't regret my past.  I know that it has shaped me and made me who I am today.  Most likely, we all will have some great relationships and some nasty breakups.  I wish I could tell the younger me that to he shouldn't be as worried about girls, but he's old and married now. 

Just remember this, follow God's commands on love and dating; instead of asking yourself, "How far can I go and it not be a sin?" ask yourself, "Is this brining me closer to God?"  There are some choices we can make at a younger age that can greatly shape the future that is in front of us.  Sin can be forgiven, but it still has consequences.  And don't rush love.  The same God who feeds the sparrows is much more concerned with who you marry and spend your life with than you realize, so be patient and trust His timing. 


Sorry that this got a little long, but I just wanted to share with younger people part of my story.  That you will make  some mistakes and that everything won't be perfect.  But don't try to just get by, don't try to just survive, don't limit yourself.  Get up every day, keep grinding, and push yourself.  I pray you live a godly life, a blessed life, a happy life, a successful life, and that you don't waste any time and look back one day wondering what could have been.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit