Skip to main content

My Thoughts on Syrian Air Strike

I have a tendency at times to over-simplify things.  I understand that there are many big things at play beyond my comprehension in this strike but let me attempt to break it down a little better.  Here is a quote from an article on msn.com this morning: "The Obama administration threatened to attack Assad's forces for previous chemical weapons attacks, but never followed through."  That has gone on for several years since around 2013.

Here's the simple personalized breakdown: If I tell my 2 year old that if he misbehaves I'll give him a spanking and he keeps doing it but I fail to spank him, what lesson do you think he will learn?  The USA had to respond to Syria's continued refusal to follow warnings.  Folks, they used this air base to launch a nerve gas attack on civilians including children.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words and maybe those pictures of innocent children struggling to breathe are what finally pushed the USA to action.

Now I don't want us to be at war anymore than someone else.  Heck, my brother-in-law is currently deployed with the Marines somewhere, most likely near Syria if I had to bet.  I don't want that for him or my family, especially my wife.  But consider this.  If there is going to be a fight, do you want the fight to be at the expense of someone else or your own family?  Do you want a war in your backyard or somewhere else?

I will take care of my family and I believe our country should take care of our citizens first.  "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." - 1 Timothy 5:8

We need to pray for the innocent victims of this act (if any), the war in Syria, the war on terror, and those directly involved in the action.  We also need to pray for our leaders, our soldiers, and our citizens.  I don't know what will happen next, but I pray that we are in God's hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit