Skip to main content

Truly Thankful

Wow, what a Thanksgiving week it's been for 2017!  Monday morning started with a scheduled C-section for Aubree, followed by numerous visitors, days and nights of sleeping for 2 hours at a time, countless prayers, coming home, and finally Thanksgiving with our families on Thursday.  I can proudly say that I have an amazing family, both immediate and extended.  But I must humbly admit that a large part of the reason I am who I am today is because of all of these people.  It's crazy as we stood around yesterday reflecting in my head on a memory and impact that each person there has had on my life.  Sometimes we tend to take family for granted and allow them to slip from being a high priority to falling behind friends, success, and wealth.  But our family has literally done it all for us over the past few days.  They have watched Thomas, cleaned, cooked, brought food, prayed, called, texted, delivered coffee (that I was without for 2 days), and made adjustments to Thanksgiving traditions in order to allow us to be a part of them with our newborn.  (Okay maybe the newborn was the reason for the adjustments lol).

I probably left something out that they've done for us or potentially failed to notice something else.  And I am not going to attempt to name everyone who has been there for us for so long and this week especially.  Having family to take on so much of the burden of one child while having the second makes like doable.  Having family adjusts their schedules and giving up on their preferences to meet and eat when works for you shows how much they care.  I'm terrible at getting all emotional and sappy when I'm stressed and wanting to make sure everything goes just right.  Unfortunately, I'm better at writing out my feelings than expressing them verbally.  But I cannot say how thankful I am for each of you that has helped us lately.  I pray that you know how much Brittnee, Thomas, Aubree, and I care about you and what family truly means to us.

As I scrolled through Facebook and Instagram this morning, I couldn't help but notice that many people felt the same way.  Almost everyone had quotes of gratitude, bible verses about thankfulness, or photos of family posted.  No one had a picture of their new car, TV, phone, furniture, or some other material item.  As a people, our Christian values are so woven into our being that we don't even realize it at times.  Today, Black Friday, many people will (or already have) be hitting the stores to spend thousands while saving hundreds.  But deep down we know what's really valuable.  Family like we have cannot be bought on Black Friday.  There's not a deal or a coupon that can give you that kind of love and support through the good times and the bad.  So go shop, buy a gift, get a good deal.  But remember, the gift you buy is not the most important thing - the recipient of that gift is.

Saying 'Thank You' is not enough to show all of you how much we care.  Just know that we do, and that when you need us, we will be there for you as well.  Happy day after Thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit