Skip to main content

The Value of People

I'm a numbers person and have been for as long as I can remember.  I've often said that 2 + 2 = 4 every day that we went to math, but in English class, people could interpret the same book or poem in a different way and both be right.  That often confused me so I liked sticking with my good ole trusty numbers which could be why I ended up working in banking.

Numbers are important, but sometimes we have to look beyond the numbers.  I am absolutely blessed to work where I do.  The company I work for, like many during the recession, had some trying times and fortunately the memories (hopefully not the lessons) of those trying times are slowly fading away.  During those years, our management team had to focus a great deal on the numbers.  But they never lost sight of what truly matters to the operations of a business, its employees.  Yes, numbers were tight, raises were non-existent for a time, and stress levels were high.  But there was and still is a compassion from working for a community bank that I don't believe many businesses have. 

There is a fine line walked between being open and available to serve our customers and to protect the health and safety of our employees, especially in weather like we had yesterday and the likely icy conditions for today.  We know we must be open to serve customers because they are more than customers to the bank.  Let's be honest, yes numbers matter, but it's not all about the numbers.  In a small bank and small communities it's about customer service.  Do we make mistakes?  Yes.  Is every customer always happy?  No.  Do we always get it right?  No.  But guess what, we are PEOPLE who live in your community who are doing the best job that we can.  We are not corporate trained "robots" with no compassion or understanding.

In Acts 16:16-24, Paul and Silas risked their freedom to free slave girl from oppressive owners and being demon-possessed.  They didn't have to risk themselves to save this girl, they could have ignored her and kept traveling along.  But they put their mission (job) on hold, risked ridicule and imprisonment to save a young girl who was created in the image of God.

What do we value today?  Is it status, power, success, money, etc.?  Or do we truly value people?  Are we willing in our daily lives on the street or at work to stop what we are doing and help others?  Do we heave a mentality more focused on helping others or helping ourselves?  Our time is often our most precious asset so slow down today, really talk to people, engage, be in the moment regardless of who you're talking to.  "All people, no matter their age, ethnicity, or social status, are equally valuable to God.  Therefore, all human life should be respected, valued, and loved."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit