Skip to main content

Child Safety

My children (and my wife but this is about the kids) mean more to me than anyone else on this planet.  For many of us, children are our greatest investment, our greatest accomplishment, our greatest challenge, and our greatest hope for the future.  But sadly not all parents feel that way.

SCENARIO #1
If I took my 3 year old son to NASCAR Driving Experience and snuck him without the officials there knowing, without paying his fee, and without registering him and put him a car driving in excess of 100 MPH and had a wreck injuring or killing him, who would you blame?  Would it be the officials fault who had warned of the dangers of bringing someone so small along, who had no knowledge or documentation that he was even there?  No.  It would be my fault because I was the one who put my child in a dangerous situation.  

Ultimately, a child's safety falls on their parents or guardians.  My wife and I asked others and did our research about daycares and about anyone who's ever watched our children.  Yes, they have been left with someone else in charge but as parents we did our part and make sure they would be safe, that those who they would be left with, be it an individual or a daycare, knew our children's needs, knew our contact info in case of an emergency, and knew what we expected.  Parents not taking the proper steps to ensure their child's safety are neglecting their child.


SCENARIO #2
If my dad snuck me onto Augusta National (site of the PGA's Master's) without signing me in, registering me, or paying any green fees and we managed to play a couple holes before officials caught up with us, do you think they would allow me to stay and become a member?  I mean I had been there, I had participated and enjoyed some of their services, right?  No.  I was not registered, they didn't know who I was, I didn't have permission, and I hadn't paid to be there.  I would most likely be arrested for trespassing and it wouldn't be Augusta's fault.  It would be my dad's for taking me there illegally.  

Read the following quote and take a guess at who said it: "Just because your child gets across the border, doesn't mean your child gets to stay.  We don't want to send a message that is contrary to our laws or that will encourage more children to make that dangerous journey."

Trump?  Obama?  Bush?  No, that is a quote from Hillary Clinton.


The images and audio clips of children crying that the media and some politicians are sharing during this horrific time of family separation pertaining to illegal immigration are meant to tug at heart strings and sway votes, not to solve the illegal immigration problem and to reconnect families.  So what are we to do?  I'm not sure, but thankfully some people much wiser than me have offered their thoughts:

"The administration says it must separate children from parents because of the Flores agreement, a longstanding federal court settlement that bars the government from jailing migrant children.  However, critics claim that nothing legally requires migrant families to be separated while their cases are being pursued...Complicating the situation even further, some adults reportedly pose with children who are not their own.  And smugglers use rented or kidnapped children as cover." - Dr. Jim Denison

"I live in a border state.  I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel.  It is immoral.  And it breaks my heart.  In 2018, can we not as a nation find a kinder, more compassionate and more moral answer to this current crisis?  I, for one, believe we can." - Laura Bush

"I think it's disgraceful, it's terrible, to see families ripped apart, and I don't support that one bit.  And I blame the politicians for the past twenty, thirty years that have allowed this to escalate to the point where it is today." - Franklin Graham

Dr. Denison shared additional thoughts on his Denison Forum stating that, "God's word calls us to obey the government," "Border security is biblical," and that "God loves the sojourner."  He also states how we are to love and treasure children  as the Bible calls them "a heritage from the Lord."  He offered three possible alternatives:
1.  The government could choose not to prosecute illegal immigrants which would essentially make us a country of no laws and no borders.
2.  The government could incarcerate and prosecute all illegal immigrants which causes family separation (the current policy).
3.  The government could prosecute all illegal immigrants but find a way to keep families together in shelters.  This would require an increase in manpower and asylum cases could be expedited.

He went on to add what I strongly agree with: "According to biblical worldview, when we are forced to choose between options, choose life."  This leads to my final question for some hypocritical and wavering politicians:  How can some of the same people who are so distraught and so heartbroken over the separation of illegal immigrant children from their parents have an absolute contrary belief when it comes to separating an American citizen from its mother just weeks or months prior to birth?  As Dr. Denison said, when forced to choose, choose life.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit