Skip to main content

Fighting Mad

On Tuesday, September 11, 2001, I was getting out of English class preparing to head to a CEP event during my freshmen year at Presbyterian College.  That morning had all the makings of an ordinary day until America got punched in the mouth.  I remember the feelings of anxiety and anger upon realizing that the land of the free and the home of the brave was under attack.  Everyone who loved the freedom and opportunity that this nation offers was ready to fight to defend it, and rightfully so.  Countless military and first responders went out risking their own lives to save as many as they could during the aftermath of these horrific attacks.  And it was almost like a patriotic revival in our country.

But this has me thinking today, what is worth fighting for?  Many of us would fight over almost anything during our younger days.  But you reach a certain age, or point in life, where fighting is no longer fun.  And the only reasons now that I would fight are to defend or kill.  So what would I fight for now?

1.  Faith.  I will fight to defend my faith.  It is essential to how I live my life and who I am.  Fighting for your faith is a little different from a physical fight in the aspect that you must fight clean.  1 Peter 3:15 tells us to defend our faith with "gentleness and respect."  If you're are attacking on someone and do not fight for your faith out of love, you risk losing the battle for that person's soul.  But not mistake this to mean that spiritual warfare does not exist and that fighting for our faith will be easy.

2.  Family.  This one is a gimme for most people.  Obviously, we love (or should love anyway) our family members more than other people in our life.  And while our children and our spouses are the often the bright spots of our day and the ones who bring the biggest smiles to our faces, they are also the causes of more frustration than others.  But I think we can all agree that no matter how upset we are with someone in our household, if someone from the outside attacks, we put our issues aside and come together to defeat the threat...much like what happened in America after the attacks of 9/11.

3.  Church.  My church is not perfect.  If it wants to be, step 1 is removing a sinner like me from its membership.  Your church is not perfect.  Church wasn't designed to be perfect, it was designed to be Christ's beautiful bride.  On a wedding day, the bride is perfect.  She is catered to, loved, celebrated, and amazingly beautiful.  But after the wedding, the bride and groom become husband and wife.  The wedding is a celebration as well as a charge because marriage isn't always pretty.  It's doing budgets, paying bills, not sleeping, fixing stuff, cleaning stuff, etc.  I am aware that my church isn't perfect, but just like I will not tolerate someone talking negatively about my wife, I will not tolerate someone speaking negatively about my church.  We are seeking God and reaching people the best that we can do.  If you want to offer words of encouragement of help, help.  If not, leave it unsaid.

4.  Career.  My career is how I provide for my family.  It gives me fulfillment by doing that as well as knowing that I have helped people achieve dreams and do things they may have though impossible.  I make mistakes, the company I work for makes mistakes.  And I imagine that the same is true of you and your employer.  So please understand that if you attack my integrity, my job performance, or my work ethic, I will be fighting mad.  And also know that I will defend the company I work for in the same regards and encourage you that if you're not working somewhere you feel that sold on or that committed to, to look for a field or a company that you can have a passion towards.  My dad has always told us that there's a million ways to make a dollar, find one you enjoy.

Fighting isn't fun.  Yea it didn't hurt that bad to get hit when we were younger but as we age even bumping into a door hurts a little more.  So evaluate what's worth fighting for in your life.  Fight for what you believe in, fight for what's right, fight for each other.  On 9/11, every innocent victim bled the same blood.  Families, churches, businesses, and our nation have got to stop the infighting.  On this day, let's start another revolution, another revival where we come together and look past our differences to see what could be if we come together in love.

"If we're gonna fight, let's fight for each other." - Mandissa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit