Skip to main content

Is It Really About Fast Food?

So apparently the other night, President Trump hosted the national champion Clemson Tiger football team for dinner the White House.  Typically, these type stores make the local headlines, fill a few newspapers and die a day or two later.  But not this one, oh no.  Here we are days later with it still spreading across both mainstream and social media.  Why?

Is everyone upset that he served fast food instead of steak?  Are you mad he left out Zaxbys, Chic Fil A, Taco Bell, or your favorite fast food place?

Maybe you're a republican who think it was awesome for him to open up his home and do the best he could with minimal staff?  Or perhaps you're a democrat who thinks it was insulting to feed national champions (though still college kids) fast food?

Or maybe you're a Gamecock or Alabama fan who's just upset that the Tigers are the national champions and wish they'd all starve!?!

Allow me to state the obvious.  This is not about fast food.  It's not about burgers, fries, or pizza.  It's not about Wendy's, Burger King, or Dominoes.  It's not about Clemson.  And it's not about Trump.  The reason this is a story is because people are pushing it to further divide others.  Period.

There is a letter written by Paul in Ephesians 2:11-22 which addresses such division in the church.  He encouraged people to not focus on if they were Jew or Gentile, circumcised or uncircumcised.  He encouraged them to focus on what they had in common, their faith in Jesus Christ.

They were to look past the physical appearances of others, or the color of their jersey.  They could take heart in knowing that they were no longer lost, and were now saved by faith through grace - they were champions.  Jesus is the one who brought "peace," "made both groups one," and "tore down the dividing wall of hostility."  He "reconciled both to God" and gave both "access in one spirit to the Father."  The people aligned themselves with Jesus as the "cornerstone."  He was the one that held the building together.

So this whole Clemson, fast food, Trump thing needs to quit being about negativity.  Let's stop focusing on what divides us - unless it's division that you truly want.  And start focusing on what unites us.

How cool is it to say you've visited the White House?  How many people have had a Whopper or Big Mac with the President...in the White House?  Why aren't we celebrating our love of football?  Or our love of success and perfection (15-0)?  And why are so many people suddenly worried about college kids' diets?  Am I the only one who ate practically nothing but junk food in college?  The "Freshmen 15" certainly wasn't sexist - it hit guys and girls hard.

The Point:  Don't focus on negativity and what divides.  If you're on a team or a committee, focus on what you all have in common, what brought you to the table together in the first place.  The love of the game, the love of food, the love of the company, or the love of each other.

"So then you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens..." - Ephesians 2:19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n...

Planes Fly in the Sky

Let me be very honest and candid about this - when I first read about the proposed airplane tax cut, I was not happy (just say it, I was mad!).  I thought that it was ludicrous to consider cutting tax revenue while counties are already struggling due to decreased sales and collections of local taxes.   However, unlike many people in today's culture, I didn't take to social media to start talking about how stupid the idea was and how much I disagreed with.  Instead, I started doing some research.  I looked up some information, asked some questions, had some conversations, and I learned some things. This was important for me to understand because I own a boat (I consider planes and boats luxury items) and pay Union County property taxes.  However, that boat hasn't been in Union for years.  It's housed and operated in a neighboring county.  There's not even anywhere that I can safely and legally operate my boat on public property in Union, yet I stil...

The New Normal

When all of this COVID, Coronavirus, and pandemic talk first started, I literally got sick of hearing the phrase, "the new normal."  I heard sermons preached talking about what is normal.  I even preached one that I titled, "The Next Normal."  But what if these "new normal" people are actually onto something? When I was growing up, a normal summer consisted of a lot of time with Mom.  She was a school teacher so we were all out for several (probably stressful) months together.  She, my brother, and sister would spent countless hours at the pool and make several trips each year to stay at my aunt's house in the lower part of the state, about 30 minutes from the beach.  That was normal for me. But now, 30ish years or so later, life for my children (and their precious little grandchildren) looks very different - almost like there's a new normal in town.   My parents worked hard, sacrificed, and saved for years before purchasing a lake house in 2010 - ...