Skip to main content

No April Fool's Joke

When I Called into work to tell them I wouldn't be coming in on Monday, April 1st, some thought it was an April Fool's joke.  Honestly, I wish it had been.  But unfortunately, the joke had been on me the day before.

That Sunday morning began like most - we got up and were running behind and trying to rush and get ready for church.  But while getting ready, Britt and I both started feeling a little puny.  In her wisdom, she persuaded me that it probably would not be very beneficial to take our germs to church and spread them around some of our more "seasoned" members and the kids in Children's Church so we stayed home.

While not feeling well, I didn't have much of an appetite and barely ate or drank anything all day.  That's when the fun began.  Around 11 PM, I got up, helped Britt with something, and then according to her, "went stiff as a board and belly flopped" onto the bathroom floor.  I don't remember how I got in the floor but I do remember her asking me if I was okay and telling her that I had bit the inside of mouth (slightly under exaggerated) but she placed a pillow under my head and waited a few minutes until I stopped snoring (her words not mine) and decided to get back in bed. 

If you had ever paid my smile much attention before you may have noticed that I had a slight overbite and my two front teeth were a little crooked.  While I would not recommend this method of realigning your teeth, I can proudly say that though I now have a small underbite, my two front teeth are perfectly flush.  Well, my front tooth and the partial that I'm wearing while the cracked bone in my jaw heals up. 

This year's April Fool's joke was on me since I spent the morning literally picking my teeth, or pieces thereof, up off the bathroom floor.

And while I haven't been thrilled about this whole experience, I did learn a few things:

1.  Working out is not as important as I thought it was.  Don't take this thought too far, I was back in the gym on a regular schedule this week.  But I did learn that a few days off here and there may actually be good for your body, your mind, and even your soul.  My gym time had become really close to being an immovable idol in my life and I realized that missing a workout or two would not have the disastrous results I used to think it would.

2.  It's okay to eat slowly.  I used to eat super fast.  This was good when in a time crunch but unhealthy in so many ways.  I realized during these past few days that you can savor that food more by eating slowly and that many of us can actually get by on a lot less food than we consume.

3.  Your life can drastically change in an instant.  I get it, what happened to my teeth won't have dramatic long-term effects on my health and life.  But it vastly changed my lifestyle for a few days.  And had I made it a couple more steps and hit my head on the corner of a cabinet, things could have been much, much worse.  Enjoy the moments, the hours, the meals, and the days that you have now.  I didn't plan on not eating breakfast the next day.  Sadly, some don't have the option of drinking it as I did.

It's no longer hurts to smile, unless I get to laughing too hard or smiling too long so we are headed in the right direction.  I'm still not eating apples or burgers and I feel pretentious eating chicken wings and pizza with a knife and fork but hey, you do what you've got to do.

P.S. - If you need any great soup recipes, Britt can hook you up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit