Skip to main content

How Comfortable are You?

As we are smack dab in the middle of cold and flu season, let me ask a question if I may - what do you find most comforting when you're sick?

For many it's chicken or noodle soup, or some variation.  It may be some over-the-counter medicine to help clear you up.  For me, I had it made when my wife worked at the doctor's office because I could get samples.  And others still swear by some home remedy of parent or grandparent which may or may not be legal to consume if you're under the age of 21 😂.

But every child knows that ultimately, there's nothing like having your mom or dad (or someone who loves you no matter what) there with you when you're sick.  When we're hurting, there's nothing like having the presence of someone else there to make us feel better.

What is comfort?
We've been studying in Sunday school about pain and suffering for several weeks.  And while reading about the 'hows' and 'whys' may offer some comfort, when we're really hurting, the only thing we are truly focused on is how to make it stop.

So how do you define comfort?  Most of us, would define is as, "relief from pain."  We assume that our comfort has come when the pain or hurt that we're experience goes away.  However, the Greek word for comfort means to come alongside someone.  So technically, we experience comfort when someone comes along side us through the pain, not merely when it stops.  Basically, comfort is more accurately viewed as God saying, "I'm here for you," not showing up saying, "Ta-da!  Everything's all better!"

2 Corinthians 3:4a reads, "He comforts us in all our afflictions."  This verse does not mean, He makes all the pain go away when bad things happen.  It is more accurately translated, He encourages me in all circumstances (good or bad).

Why do we need comforting?
We should certainly be thankful to God when he comforts us.  But much like everything else he entrusts us with, he wants us to steward that comfort well too.  We cannot offer the same level of comfort that God can, but we can be a conduit to help his comfort reach others who we are around.

God often attempts to comfort us differently than the world does.

The world seeks comfort or relaxation through the numbing of our pain.  This if often in the form of drugs, alcohol, or even entertainment.  It typically offers comfort from a distance or through a pill ad is often more after just helping you to "get away from" or "forget" your current problem.

But God walks with us through hard times facing them head on to conquer them.  He wants us to remember what we're going through so that we can learn from it and then use it to help others.

What if I can't physically comfort?
Comforting others sounds like such a noble thing to do.  But what if you feel completely overwhelmed yourself?  How do you help others then?  For me, it often takes circumstances getting to be too much to force me to pray more and trust God more.  When things are going good, I feel like "I've got this," or "I can handle this."

Maybe you're not geographically able to help someone who needs comforting right now.  You can call or text them.  Or more importantly, you can offer up a prayer for their need.

Norman Vincent Peale has an entire chapter in his book, The Power of Positive Thinking, titled "Try Prayer Power."  His closing line of the chapter reads, "Make a list of people for whom to pray.  The more you pray for other people, especially those not connected with you, the more prayer results will come back to you."  You get a heck of a return on investment through prayer!

How can I comfort this week?
The old saying goes, you're either in a storm, going into a storm, or coming out of a storm.  This means that you, or at least one person around this week, could benefit from some form of comforting.  So what can we do?

Be present.  I always struggle for the right words to say at a funeral or when someone's sick.  But often, we just mess it up with words.  Just show up.  Just be there for the people you care about.  You don't have to say anything.

Be thankful.  Think back to a time when someone comforted you during a difficult time.  Thank God for that person.  Then send that person a message and let them know how thankful you are that they were there for you.

Be prayerful.  Pray for the strength to comfort others.  Pray for the needs of others.


When we begin to feel overwhelmed by everything life is throwing at us, turn to God for comfort.  Then remember the lessons he teaches you during those tough times to share with others when he blesses you with that opportunity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit