Skip to main content

John's Weekly Thoughts (05302020)

I looked last night and realized that I hadn't actually completed and posted a blog in over a month.  I had to ask myself if I had been lazy, busy, or some combination of both.  Truth is, it's both.  I had started several drafts that haven't been completed.  I've spoke a couple times which requires a different focus and preparation, for me anyways.  And while work has now gotten back to a more typical volume that PPP has run its course, we're still very busy.  But, I told myself earlier this year that I would write and share more regularly and I try to live by a "no excuses" mentality.  So hopefully a weekly article that touches on subjects without the sometimes too deep dive I try to take will be easier for me to handle and for others to follow.

No Guts, No Glory
We've all heard this saying - but what if our guts cause us to miss the glory?  If you know the story of Jesus in the garden before he was apprehended to be crucified, you've heard of a guy named Peter.  When trained Roman soldiers came to take Jesus, Peter did what all us "real men" would do - he man'd up for his boy!  Peter sliced off one of the soldier's ears and prepared to take on the battle against impossible odds.  But Jesus stopped him saying, "Put your sword back into its sheath.  Shall I not drink from the cup my father has given me?"

Jesus had repeatedly told Peter and the other disciples what would happen to him - that he would be crucified but would return.  But like many of us, they chose to hear what they wanted to hear and believe what they wanted to believe.  Peter showed the guts, but nearly missed the glory.  This same man who was once willing to fight a trained & equipped army and would likely face certain death, was later unwilling to admit his association with Jesus to a crowd of onlookers.  

Stuart Briscoe writes, "Like many a man, Peter's courage was spotty.  He would take a swing at anyone, but taking a stand was more problematic.  Sometimes the challenge for the Christian is more in demonstrating more and spiritual courage than in bracing and fighting a physical confrontation."

George Floyd
I have been far too quiet in the discussion of racism for far too long for one simple reason - because I was scared.  I was scared that something I said would be taken the wrong way, or that I may not be able to accurately express my thoughts and feelings in words.  This is very sensitive subject yet also way too important to not try to make a change.  If something I say offends you, please talk to me about it.  Help me understand or to better express what I was going for.

It is grossly unfair that another man with many similar attributes as me (age, intelligence, stature, etc.) would have overcome greater obstacles merely because of his skin tone.  It's not fair that my lighter skin tone allows me to receive the benefit of doubt that others with a darker complexion don't get.  This should not be happening in the United States in 2020.  It never should have but we cannot change history.  Our role is to change the future.

One of the first steps to solving a problem is admitting that it exists.  Racism is real and I fear that is far more prevalent than many whites realize or care to admit.  How can I change it?  By living out an example that does not discriminate based on skin color.  By not making or listening to racially charged jokes.  By not accepting racist comments or actions as 'okay' because that's someone's opinion.  

You want a simple actionable step to start shifting your mindset and get motivated to make a difference - go listen to Mandisa's "Bleed the Same" every single morning (link below hopefully).  She says so many positive things so beautifully.  This needs to be an anthem for America right now and should be on every radio station and news feed to begin uniting us.  

https://youtu.be/HVKuA1s5I3o

If I can help somehow, let's talk.  If I can get you on a platform to share, or we can write an article together, or speak to a group, let's do it.  We all see things from our vantage point.  But in coming together, we can get a complete picture and present it to others.  I'm sorry for being silent for too long.  Let's begin to work together to create change in our community and in our world.

Fact Check
Fake news, questionable statistics, and inaccurate information have been a problem for a long time - thousands of years in fact.  Before we didn't really know how deadly COVID was going to be, before DHEC began multiple reporting of the same patient (which skews numbers), before we were watching CNN or Fox News and not realizing that they were talking about the same story because of their various views of it, ole Peter again didn't believe the news he had received.

After Jesus' death, on the third day, the women went to the tomb.  However, when they got there, Jesus' body was gone.  They rushed back to tell the disciples who questioned the women's account.  But not Peter.  Nope.  Peter ran to the tomb to see for himself.  He didn't disrespect them and call them liars.  He merely wanted to find the truth on his own (Luke 24:12).  

An excerpt from  a devotion of mine this week:  "There is great danger is dismissing as nonsense what we do not understand.  And there is great arrogance in dismissing as irrelevant the sincere testimony of a brother or a sister whose experience differs from our own.  It is too easy to dismiss what we will not take the trouble to discover.  Peter, however, quietly slipped out of them room and ran to the tomb to see for himself....As Peter discovered, it makes no sense to dismiss as nonsense what doesn't at first make sense.  Instead, it makes sense to listen to what others say and see how it would make sense.  That's common sense!"

Closing Thought
If you want to see change - be it in yourself, your business, your community, or wherever - it starts with you.  Work on changing yourself from the inside out and be the change you want to see. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit