Skip to main content

What Can We Learn On The Edge?

"All coins have three sides: heads, tails, and the edge. Intelligence is found on the edge of the coin, and in the ability to see both sides." - Robert Kiyosaki

I wish I wasn't writing this.  I wish that it wasn't necessary to discuss racism.  But at this stage, to not say anything, is to say something.  I will likely fumble my words as I've written, re-written, and re-written again several drafts.  This is a much heavier and deeper subject than most that I've written about.  I want to put everything I have to say into it, but I also don't have the hours and hours to research and write (plus most people wouldn't read it if it was too long anyway).  So here are some of my thoughts on racism and how we can, we must, all work together to heal this sickness.

Systems & Government
To say or think that systemic racism doesn't exist is foolish.  Allow me to demonstrate.  If the government truly thought that all races had an equal opportunity in this country - would they offer minority scholarships and other programs?  Would they have instituted affirmative action?  Would the NFL have the "Rooney Rule?"  In today's, "equality for all world", the shear fact that these exist verifies that certain races have to overcome challenges that others don't just to be perceived as equal.  With that being said, at least someone in these organizations is trying, they just haven't succeeded yet.  Here's why...

The government cannot heal what is truly a heart issue.  Pastor John Gray recently said, "We're not going to be able to heal this at the legislative level...You can't pass a law to change someone's heart."  Rules and laws are put in place to deter and punish bad people.  We need to stop creating and enabling bad thoughts about race.  If you had a generation of all good people, no laws would be necessary.

Where's It Coming From
I believe that most of the people I know are good people.  If you're not and I see that, we won't associate anymore.  But we must all admit that we are likely 2-3 generations removed from segregation.  There have been jokes, thoughts, ideas, and comments that have been passed down for generations that if not cut off will continue to permeate the divide between us based on skin color.

One of the better examples I've heard is this.  Let's say that your child wants to date someone of a different race.  They're clearly cool with it.  You may be cool with it.  But what would your parents say?  What would your grandparents say if one of their babies was dating a ____________ (insert derogatory term of another race)?

We can't deny that it has existed in many families for years.  Sadly, it was taught and learned.  That's where we come in.  IT STOPS NOW.  If it didn't stop before you, then it stops with you.  Kill the off color comments.  Shut down the inappropriate jokes.  Refuse to be a part of those types of conversations.  Shift them towards being constructive and bringing people together, or at a minimum walk away.  

Closing Thoughts
What do we do next to start mending relationships and healing wounds?

Again, this example is from something I listened to.  If someone of a different race is hurting, tell them you're sorry.  Before you say, "Well, I'm not racist.  What do I have to be sorry for?"  If their grandmother died, what would you say to them - likely that you're sorry for their loss.  You didn't kill Grandma, you're sorry they're hurting.  So right now, just empathize.  Feel sorry, feel the pain that people are going through.

Have a conversation.  No, you don't have to engage every different colored person you know.  But be intentional about speaking, saying hello, smiling, and when able, to listening and talking about real issues you're both dealing with right now.  We're only going to begin to gain an understanding of the issue when we have the courage to step up to the edge and look over into the other side to learn what it's really like.  

There's so much more to say, so much more to hear, and so much more to do.  But we can start learning and start changing now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit