Skip to main content

Clemson Can't Be #1

Dear Freedom From Religion Foundation,

I would like to make a few points, who knows, I may even mail y'all a letter in Wisconsin since you clearly are capable of mailing letters to the good ole state of South Carolina. 

If I was going to attack a public university, let's say Clemson for example, about them possibly violating constitutional rights and not having a separation of church and state I would really try to make sure I knew what I was talking about first. 

1)  The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."  That's pretty plain and simple if you read the entire sentence, people are free to choose their own religious beliefs and to exercise them as they see fit as long as they do so in a peaceable manner.

1a)  The phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear in The Constitution.  It's believed to have first been used by Thomas Jefferson in 1802.  Jefferson writes: "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."  You see, the separation was actually to keep the State/Government out of the Church, not vice versa the way many anti-Christians use it today. 

2)  You are actually asking the government to violate the very right you claim Clemson is violating.  If government cannot establish, nor prohibit, then how do you think they can tell Clemson that they will no longer be allowed to have Christian coaches and activities?  Isn't that prohibiting them from practicing a religion?

3)  The FFRF claims to be the country's largest association of atheists.  If you truly believe what your name insinuates, that everyone should be freed from all religion of any kind, then you should dissolve the foundation immediately.  You see, you can't preach (religious word) atheism (religion) if you truly believe people should have a freedom from religion.  I'm willing to bet that I can find a more than capable attorney who would draw up that paperwork for you pro bono.  Your true purpose is to push for freedom from Christianity, not religion.  At least then you wouldn't be a double negative. 

4)  Based on the media archives on your own website, you appear to be attacking only Christians, pointing back to my previous point.  To paraphrase Brad Stine, 'Who is more irrational, the man who believes in a God he cannot see?  Or the man who is offended by a God he doesn't even believe exist?'  I don't believe that talking lizards are real but I don't go around saying Geico should have to come up with a new mascot or refusing to use them for insurance because of something so silly.

I believe that you have the freedom to teach people different religious beliefs.  And I also believe that is up to each individual to make their own personal choice as to who they serve.  I heard a story of why there were two thieves on crosses alongside Jesus.  Both were being punished for equal sin.  One of the men mocked Jesus.  However, the other acknowledged who Christ was and asked for forgiveness and was saved.  This is just another example of the free will that God gives us to choose to follow Him.  And he said to them all, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." - Luke 9:23

In closing, Clemson may win a national championship in every major sport they participate in but they will never be #1.  Jesus Christ will always be #1 in my book! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit