Skip to main content

#MondayMorningPreacher - Road to Maturity in Christ

Yesterday morning's message from Pastor Robert Chapman was inspiring, challenging, and extra enlightening for me since it was from a passage that I've studied and spoken on myself before.  After following up on last week's sermon about what it means to be a disciple; following Christ, being changed by Christ, and being committed to the mission of Christ, we began to look at what a mature disciple of Jesus Christ looks like.

The scripture passage comes from Philippians 3:15-21, and Paul tells us in the first verse that he is talking to mature believers here, aka church people, who already have a working knowledge of who Christ is.

1)  We are maturing in Christ as we live up to what we have (v.16).  It's not always about knowing more and more, it's about living up to what we already know.  "Hold true" here refers to the believers walking in line and behaving as they should.  And their spirituality should continue to progress based on the same principles that have gotten them to this point in their spiritual growth.  So many people in church, and outside of it even, know the famous Bible stories:  David & Goliath, Noah and the Ark, Moses, the list could go on.  But are we living out the principles being taught in these stories in our daily lives?  You know it, but are you doing it?  So to check your maturity level, ask yourself where am I?  Am I praying for the needs of the church and the individuals around me?  Am I involved in missions?  Am I giving to missions?  Am I connected in the community?  Am I sharing the gospel?  And just inviting someone to church is not sharing the gospel with them.  Sharing that Jesus Christ came to save us from our sins and died, rose, and ascended to Heaven to be with God the Father is sharing the gospel.

2)  We are maturing as we follow good examples (v.17).  All believers are imperfect, therefore we are to follow less imperfect people to become more like Christ.  For the people here, that example to imitate and follow is Paul.  Paul gave us examples in several ways in Philippians.  In 1:3 he gives us an example of prayer, which is how he began many of his letters.  In 1:6 he gives us an example of encouragement.  In 1:13 he gives us an example of witness, even to the prison guards detaining him.  In 1:29 he gives us the example of suffering.  Paul went through the things he preached and taught about.  We have all followed both good and bad examples in our lives, even at church.  We are to seek out role models here that are less imperfect than ourselves and try to be more like them each day.  That means studying like them, praying like them, serving like them, following their godly example.

3)  We are maturing as we watch out for bad examples (v.18-19).  Paul had apparently warned the people multiples times to be on the lookout.  And he goes on to warn them that the enemies of the church will work hard to be blended in and may even obtain leadership positions in the church.  The enemy and bad examples can often times be found out in that their appetite and hunger is for things of this world.  They are earthly focused and tend to follow the latest fads instead of being rooted in the Word of God.  They are proud of things that Christians should be ashamed of.  Look at the TV and internet today, how many things out there are absolutely despicable in the eyes of God yet receive praise and honor from man?  We are to be on the lookout for bad examples, especially within the church.

4)  We are maturing as we broaden our perspective (v.20-21).  We see here that God has power over everything on earth, which means that our strength comes from Him.  We are to be focused on the things of Christ, not this world.  We are never too old to be involved in the church, no where in the Bible does it say that we retire from Christianity.  As we focus on the things of God, doing his work, and our heavenly citizenship we will learn that our prize is Jesus Christ and his precious gift of salvation!

What are you actions and your talk focused on?  Is it worldly things like sports, hobbies, or fashion?  Or are you talking about God to your friends and others around you?

How are we as individuals, and as a church body getting more involved in making disciples?

Are you moving closer to Christ and growing more mature in him, or are you stuck?  If God is tugging on your heart as you hear or read a message from Him, not responding is not moving toward God.

Lord, I pray that you continue to place people like Paul in my life for me to imitate.  I pray for your continued guidance in maturing discipleship in my life and the lives of those around me.  Thank you for your the citizenship that you have granted me in heaven and for your sacrificial gift of salvation through your son.  Amen.

#Discipleship #Maturity

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit