Skip to main content

2015 Annual Review - 2016 Goals

For the past couple years I've posted some of my goals for the upcoming year.  Not really resolutions, but more measurable goals for myself.  I have been slack in measuring where I am on those but let's take a look and see how 2015 stacked up. 

Spiritually:  In 2015 I did more studies instead of reading through the entire Bible in a year.  While I did miss the daily reading plan that offers, the studies have provided great insight and more passion in my daily walk.   I've read that reading the Bible in a year is like driving a speed boat across a lake, but studying it slower is more like taking a ride on a glass bottom boat where you can observe more of the depths of the water.  If you are looking for a study to do in the upcoming year, I would highly recommend Radial by David Platt, or Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby.  Both are studies that you will make you feel inspired by what God is doing in the world yet also humbled by our lack of faith and action at times.  I must admit that I did fail at one of my 2015 goals which was to memorize a verse a week.  That only made it through the first couple months of the year like many people's resolutions.  I did memorize quite a few during Experiencing God but I do need to focus more this year on memorization and committing God's Word to my heart to be prepared to share it when the opportunity arises. 

I'm still slightly undecided on my 2016 full spiritual plan.  I know I will continue daily devotionals with my new book I got for Christmas but I am still figuring out if I should read the Bible again or focus more on particular studies to gain a deeper knowledge and understanding.  So my main goal for 2016 is to remember that God is at work all around us, and to be obedient to Him.  I want to grow spiritually and I believe that happens through obedience and gaining a more intimate knowledge of God.  I also believe that to know what He expects of us, we must be in His Word and in communication with Him through prayer.  So I hope to be more Christ-like, and less John-like in this upcoming year.

Physically:  I managed to say pretty healthy and injury free this past year and hopefully that will continue for years to come.  My goals were simple, top 5% of my age group in the Spartan races for the trifecta.  Well, it was an up and down year.  I was in the top 2% of the Sprint, slipped back to 9% at the Super, and made it back up to 6% at the Beast.  I've signed up for 3 races again this year and even have Brittnee signed up to do a Spartan Race...she's started training and didn't get home Wednesday night until I was in bed #beastmode.  I don't ramp up to a particular training schedule too much until it's rather close to a race.  Fitness is not a goal or destination with a finish line, it's a journey and daily grind.  No matter what condition you are in, you have to work to maintain it, you have to work harder to get better.  Or you can do nothing and sit on the couch and watch the rest of the world live. 

For 2016 I am running Spartan elite races.  My wish is to get a top 5 finish, but I truly want to just make it into the top 10.  I am excited about the motivation this offers but also fear I will be humbled very quickly in the upcoming races this year.  We are starting to get more and more people from Union involved in running the races with us so if you'd like to join in the fun please hop in there with us and we have people on every fitness level who run on the team.  You can sign up with the "U-Town Heroes" and be a part of something that is growing, and I don't mean our waistlines.  I might even submit videos for a couple reality fitness shows just to see what happens.

Mentally/Professionally:  I didn't set a hard goal last year because much of what I do is based on other people's financing activity.  But I have had a pretty good year and I hope that any one reading this has financially.  I hope that I will have a good 2016 as well and continue to see our company thrive and be able to provide the many people who work there with jobs, benefits, and a good work environment.  I may even look more into writing or working on a devotional book of some sort this year in my "free time", like that exist.  The fact I even consider that tells me that God is at work because I hated reading and writing when I was younger but now it seems to be a release for me.

Ultimately, for 2016 I want to be more obedient to God.  "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and His law he meditates on day and night" - Psalm 1:1-2.  Dr. Johnny Hunt says, "Blessed speaks of the blissful, happy, joyful, life that is controlled not by circumstances but by the inner strength of our Creator...God wants to bless his people and direct them into a life of faithfulness and fruitfulness.  God blesses us in order to make us a blessing to others."  My strength and motivation comes from God, that's how I keep going.

Where will your strength come from in 2016?  Who will you be a blessing to this year?

#Blessed #GiveGodGlory #Spirit #Mind #Body #SpartanRace #Pray #Faith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit