Skip to main content

Lessons in Prayer - 1 Timothy 2:1-8 - Political Leaders

"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way." - 1 Timothy 2:1-2

I looked more into v1 yesterday so if you want to read up on the need of salvation to be taken to the lost people of the world it's there.  But I felt you had to read v1 to better flow into v2.

In v2, Paul asks the church to pray for "kings and all who are in high positions."  They didn't have as many political leader titles as we do now so I'm glad he added the part about all in high positions.  Many rulers in Paul's day had made the mistake of becoming arrogant in their own strength after becoming ruler, and that turned them hostile towards God.  Given their negative feelings toward our Lord, you can imagine this mustered quite a bit of ill will between the church and many kings and leaders of the day. 

But Paul pleads with the church to pray for their leaders.  It didn't matter to him if it was a Christian king, non-Christian king, or even an anti-Christian king.  Some rulers in that day were extremely oppressive to the people, treating them very harshly and unfairly.  Some people may feel that we don't have all the freedoms that we should today, but trust me, we have it made compared to the oppression that was often faced under the rule of some kings. 

This left me questioning, are we praying for our President?  Other world leaders?  Governors?  Members of Congress?  Even local supervisors, mayors, and council members?  Or do we prefer to just complain about them?  Let's try this, for every minute that we plan to spend complaining about our officials and leaders, what if we prayed for them for one minute before doing that.  I wonder if that would change our complaints, or at least give us some compassion as we voice our opinions.

Dear Lord,
Please be with our President, and presidential nominees.  Our country and world are quite possibly in the best of times, and the worst of times.  We have more possessions, luxuries, and services than ever before.  Yet we are also plagued by fear, terror, and worry now in our daily lives.  I pray that would be with those who have the influence, power, and ability to help ease these tensions, and to continue the prosperity that we have had as a nation.  I pray that we have Christian leaders who turn to you when they don't have the answers.

And Father, I pray for our state officials.  I pray they will be good stewards of the resources we have here.  I pray we can see positive attitudes across our state of South Carolina and be an example to the world of Christian love.  As horrible as the Charleston church shooting was a little over a year ago, the absolutely amazing grace shown by those church and family members who lost loved ones was such a powerful testimony to the world.  I pray that more people with that kind of faith decide to step up and be leaders in their homes, businesses, and across our state.

And I pray for our local officials in Union.  We face a unique set of challenges as well as advantages in our small town, but I know people are working to make it a better place.  For us to be so "poor", we sure do find a way to step up when there is a need.  Again I pray for Christian leadership here, and that we will all trust you and rely on you as our lord and savior.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit