Skip to main content

Walking in Others' Shoes

As Jesus was being asked questions by some of the scribes, one of them asked him, "What is the greatest commandment?"  To which Jesus replied, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.".  He then goes on to tell them what the second greatest is, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."  Now isn't that one of the sweetest rules in all the Bible, love others like we love ourselves? 

It sounds really easy to love our neighbor when we're at church or with our family and friends.  But what about when "your neighbor" is different?  What about when it's someone you don't talk like, look like, or even agree with over certain topics?  Do we have to love those neighbors too?  Absolutely!  This verse doesn't say that people who are different aren't our neighbors, deserving of love too.  We are to follow the Lord's teaching and love ALL of our neighbors as we do ourselves.  Are we caring for our neighbor when he's sick like we would want to be cared for, are we praying for them when they need more than we are able to give?  Who reading this has ever made a mistake, only to be chewed out too harshly for it?  Good many hands up I imagine.  Are we showing our neighbors the grace and kindness that we want to receive when we screw up?

Sometimes for us to be able to really reach people and understand what they're going through or where they're coming from, we have to do like Paul did in 1 Corinthians 9:19-22; "For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.  To the Jews, I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews.  To those under the law, I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.  To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.  To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak.  I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some."

In doing this lesson with the TBC children, we then proceeded to have a few of them walk in their neighbor's shoes.  As you can imagine, this was rather entertaining watching a young boy stroll around in small girl flip flops, and watching a small girl try walking in a pair of adult crocs.  Just try it out, even for a few steps so you can get the object of what we're looking at here. 

How did it feel to walk around in someone else's shoes?  It have been a little strange or weird, definitely something different that we aren't used to.  Did it feel a little bit uncomfortable?  Most likely so, but that's what Paul did in order to reach others for Christ. 

Paul chose to be a servant, to put his wishes and desires on the backburner so he could serve others.  When he "became as a Jew," Paul did all the he could (under God's law still) to become culturally and socially similar to the Jews.  Basically meaning that he acted like them, talked like them, celebrated like them, to them, he was a Jew.  For us to reach people, we have to show an interest in them and in their interests.  If you want to reach a group of baseball players, start talking about baseball; if you want to reach a group of soccer players, start talking about soccer and so on. 

We also have to learn to talk to people on their level.  Paul became weak so that he could win others who were weak.  He did not water down the message of the gospel, he just explained it in simpler terms.  My  wife and sister work in the medical field so they like using what I consider code words for medicines sometimes.  I'll be saying that I have a headache or stomachache or whatever it is and then I hear that I need to take a dose of loratadineantihistamineacetaminophen or something.  I'm left with a confused look on my face then just wondering, do we have some Tylenol? 

Paul became "all things...by all means" so that he could save people.  Are we willing to submit ourselves to the service of others?  To learn to see things from other's perspectives?  To fully understand where someone is coming from or why they feel the way they feel, the only way to do so may be walk in their shoes.  And that may be uncomfortable at times.  But as Christians, it's important for us to put ourselves in others' shoes in order to reach them.  Whose shoes do you need to walk in today?  What would people see if they walked in yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit