Skip to main content

Lessons in Prayer - 1 Timothy 2:1-8 - Leadership & Unity

I finally got back to finishing up this passage I had looked at a couple weeks ago.  This is the final verse and my final thoughts on prayer from 1 Timothy 2.

"I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling." - 1 Timothy 2:8

In this verse, every place, refers to what would be considered our corporate worship services today.  It was where and when the church gathered together to worship.  Paul was encouraging the people to step up and be leaders, especially through prayer.  I know at our church right now, we've had to have many people step up in different areas to help us keep things on track and moving forward.  Each church's current situation is different but all churches need volunteers willing to step up, lead, and pray. 

As Paul goes on to write about lifting holy hands, he's not giving us instructions for how to hold our hands during prayer.  Rather, he is using imagery here to tell us to live a clean/holy - life/hands.  It doesn't matter where you put your hands when you pray, it's where you put your mind and your heart that God is concerned with.

Living without anger or quarreling is so vital to every relationship in our lives, both personally and as a church.  I honestly didn't use any notes when I got to this section speaking that Wednesday night.  I had studied the text but wanted to just share whatever the Lord laid on my heart at that point.  That being said, I still didn't write it down and don't remember what I said that night so here we go again.  I believe that it's okay to get mad and upset sometimes.  How we act during those times may become a sin, but those feelings are okay.  We are all created differently and have different opinions about things, many of which may not be right or wrong.  Baskin Robbins has 31 different flavors of ice cream, not just vanilla, so having differing opinions is fine.  Ephesians 4:26 tells us, "Be angry and do not sin."  It's when we get sucked into quarreling that relationships begin to deteriorate.  Some of us are mature enough to hold that emotion on the inside not act out against others, but if we're quarreling internally with someone, it can be just as harmful.  John MacArthur refers to quarreling as "a hesitant reluctance to be committed to prayer." 

Dear Heavenly Father,
I pray that we will have leaders step up in our church, and all churches to help point us toward you.  I pray that we will have a heavy reliance on prayer, and You, to provide for the church.  Thank you for those who dedicate their time and talents to helping grow your church and spread your Word.  I pray that you would strengthen those in leadership roles in the church and help them to live holy lives before you and before the world.  So often, the world waits on a Christian to make a mistake, but we know we're not perfect, only forgiven. 

And Lord, please be with anyone who is angry right now.  Help them to know if it's a healthy anger that can motivate them, or a destroying anger that is damaging relationships.  Let us not quarrel over matters, especially trivial ones.  But I pray that we would lay our burdens before you, and take them to our brothers and sisters in Christ in gentleness and love, instead of bad-mouthing them to others.  Thank you for the instruction you give us in your Word.  I ask you to be with our church leaders again Lord, and pray that more people would begin to pray in every place.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit