Skip to main content

Building and Defending - Part 1

The book of Nehemiah took place in the mid to early 400s BC while the Jewish people were under Persian rule.  The walls of Jerusalem have been broken down the gates of the city destroyed by fire.  News of this saddened Nehemiah and he requested permission from the king to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the walls.  Typically, the rebuilding of a conquered city's walls was seen as a threat to the ruling empire, but Nehemiah was allowed to do so because of his closeness to the king.  As our story begins, he has recently begun work on the rebuilding of the walls.

When Sanballat heard that Nehemiah and the Jewish people were rebuilding the wall, he was angry and greatly enraged, and he jeered at the Jews.  And Sanballat said in the presence of his bothers and the army of Samaria, "What are these feeble Jews doing?  Will they restore it for the themselves?  Will they sacrifice?  Will they finish up in a day?  Will they revive the stones out of the heaps of rubbish, and burned ones at that?"  Tobiah was beside him, and he said, "Yes, what they are building - if a fox goes up on it he will break down their stone wall!"  Then Nehemiah prays, Hear O our God, for we are despised.  Turn back the taunts of Sanballat and Tobiah on their own heads and give them up to be plundered in a land where they are captives.  Do not cover their guilt, not let their sin be blotted out from your sight, for they have provoked you to anger in the presence of the builders.  So Nehemiah and the Jews built the wall, and the wall was joined together to half its height, for the people had a mind to work.

What are some things we see in this part of the story that we can apply to our lives today?
-  When the Jews faced the mocking and harassment of Sanballat and Tobiah, it didn't stop them.  They turned to God in prayer for the Lord's protection from their enemies.  But how else could they have responded to the taunting?  What if they had lashed out at their enemies instead of praying?  What would the armies have done to them if they had done that?  But since Nehemiah did pray, they received blessing from the Lord and continued work on the wall. 

-  I spent most of my time thinking on this story likely the same way most people do, focusing on Nehemiah and his people's resilience and skipping over the actions of Sanballat and Tobiah.  When I paused to look at them, I had to ask myself if I have I ever mocked, insulted, or said something to someone that would discourage them from doing a good work, or dare I say it God's work, just because it wasn't what I thought they should be doing?  I'm thankful that the Lord offers grace to me that I don't deserve for my ill thoughts and actions toward others, and I pray that I can be an encourager to someone today and help build walls instead of tear them down.

This story is found in Nehemiah 4:1-6...full story is through verse 17.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit