Skip to main content

Moses & the Burning Bush - A First Look

Before we begin, just a little bit of background on the time this story takes place to hopefully give it more understanding.  A new king (Pharaoh) has just taken over rule in Egypt, who is fearful of the Israelites because of their strength and numbers.  Because of his fear, he has instituted a rule to have all baby boys born to be killed.  Moses was born during this time and his mother knew he would be killed if he stayed with her so she placed him in a basket and allowed him to float downstream.  Fortunately for her and Moses, he ended up being adopted by Pharaoh's daughter and raised as one of her children.  After he grew up, he fled from Egypt to the land of Midian.  As our story begins, Moses is around 80 years old, grew up Egyptian, and has spent the past 40 years working in the desert.

Now Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law, Jethro, and he led the flock around the west side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.  And an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of a bush.  Moses looked, and saw that the bush was burning but was not being consumed.  And Moses said, "I must turn aside to see this great sight, why the bush is not burned."  When the Lord saw that Moses turned aside, God called out to Moses from the bush, "Moses, Moses, here I am."  Then the Lord said, "Do not come near, take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground."  And he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob."  And Moses his hid face because he was afraid to look at God.  Then the Lord said "I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters.  I know their sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, and land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites.  And now behold, the cry of the people of Israel has come to me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them.  Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt."  But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?"  And God said, "But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain."

This is a story I've heard since childhood, but the more times I've read it this week the more and more I have found that it is absolutely loaded with spiritual truth and application.  Let's look at a couple of those here, and possibly a few more later in the week.  This story can be found in Exodus 3:1-12 if you would like to read it all there.

In the beginning of the story, Moses is performing a regular mundane job of tending the flocks of his family.  He had no special training, high paying, or high influence job.  But God chose to use him, a regular guy with an ordinary job to accomplish a seemingly impossible task.  Do you believe that God can still ordinary people to do extraordinary things today?

Keep in mind that Moses had 40 years of experience living and working in this wilderness so there must have been something striking to cause Moses to stop his work and decide to seek out this particular bush fire in greater detail.  God knew something small or common would not get the attention of Moses, so he used something miraculous to grab his attention.  Does God still use miracles or other big things today that cause us to shift our focus off ourselves, our career, or something in our lives, and onto Him?  Just like God used this miraculous burning bush, he will do what whatever is necessary to get our attention today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit