Skip to main content

Drinkin' Downtown

A zoning ordinance that would allow a bar or tavern to open on Main Street has been in the news for Union recently.  There has been a significant amount of both strong support and strong opposition to this considered amendment.  I am still attempting myself to figure out and comprehend ALL of the facts but here is what I have come to so far.

1.  It my current understand that the present ordinance ALLOWS a restaurant to open on Main Street and serve alcohol.  This misconception is being passed around that alcohol sales are not permitted at all in the City of Union.  You may open a restaurant (key part first) that is focused on food yet serves alcohol.  You may not open a bar or tavern whose primary purpose is the sale and consumption of alcohol.  I have not read all 80 pages of the City's zoning ordinance book online but based on conversations I have had with people that is what I currently understand to be the law.  If I am wrong in that, several of my points must change as well and I will attempt to update them all.

2.  To those against the sale of alcohol:  Let's keep in mind that alcohol is not banned from the City.  There are several liquor stores and convenience stores which sell alcohol located directly on and right off of Main Street.  If your opposition is just now coming up, I believe you either just learned of these places (not sure why not before) or you want to create a scene or spectacle of some sort.  Some of these stores have been open for decades and I have rarely heard of any amendment recommendations to have them closed.  So I cannot accept that your sole reason is purely the sale of alcohol in the city limits.

3.  To those for the sale of alcohol:  Research the current ordinances as they are.  If a restaurant that sells alcohol is allowed, then open one to start and play within the rules.  Don't go for the homerun when a single will keep your team alive.  There is a brewery in Gatlinburg that our family goes to almost annually.  I have had a drink there.  I have also had their burgers.  They are amazing.  Our entire family, children, parents and all go.  It's a family atmosphere place with no one acting belligerent or stumbling around hammered.  Start there.  Show that you can successfully run and operate a business that sells alcohol without having fights, disturbances, and legal issues.  Once you show that the citizens can enjoy the venue and be safe there, then request permission to step up to a place that is primarily a brewery or tavern or whatever it is that you want.  If the community gets on board, the elected officials will have to...or the next elected officials will.  This also allows for law enforcement to track vital statistics of crime that could potentially increase with these sales as well.

4.  Personally, I'm fine with a restaurant selling beer, wine, drinks, spirits, whatever you want to call it with meals.  I work on Main Street so the idea of a bar or tavern right nearby is a little worrisome.  However, the idea of a nice restaurant that I could meet a client or my wife at after work with a glass of wine or nice cocktail is a good option in my opinion.  And honestly, it seems hypocritical of an ordinance that would allow me to bring alcohol to let's say a wedding reception at Main Street Junction (very nice place) and give it away for people to consume.  But yet a restaurant which is required to adhere to ABC laws and regulations cannot sell alcohol to these same responsible adults?

We need a more clear understanding of the current ordinance.  Don't give me the legal mumbo jumbo, break it down for me into what it actually means and let the elected officials, current business owners, residents, and prospected business owners know clearly what the current law is.  Then, we can actually have an intelligent discussion about what is best for Union and our future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit