Skip to main content

When Fantasy Football Meets Real Life

One of the website writers, Thomas Casale, that I read on fantasy football shared these thoughts this past week...pretty spot on.


Everyone is protesting something. I got a text from someone I know telling me we need to protest against ESPN because they didn’t fire a particular host.

Here’s the thing: I don’t care. I’m too d@#! old. I’m just trying to survive the week. I’ve had Type I diabetes for 34 years. I have two kids. I just want to make it to the weekend. I’m not going to protest against ESPN. I’m not going to protest against the NFL. I’m not going to protest against Obama. I’m not going to protest against Trump.

You know what I’m going to do? I’m going to try to keep my blood sugar under control. I’m going to try to raise my kids the best I can. I’m going to wonder why Jerry Jones can win three playoff games in 20 years and not face more criticism for being the worst GM in the history of the NFL. I’m going to work my butt off. I’m going to root against the New York Yankees because I hate my cousins. I’m going to try to be a good father, husband and friend. I’m going to try to live one more month.

You want me to protest something? I’m protesting against death. I’m trying to live to see 50. You all take to Twitter and solve the country’s problems by complaining and then doing nothing. Let me know how that works for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n...

Who Wants to be Dilos?

You're probably wondering if that's a typo or not. While doing a search for these letters did actually reveal that there is a brand and some fictional character out there with this name - my real intent was to show that order matters. You see, if we reverse the letters, you then spell the word, S-O-L-I-D. Yet far too many of us are operating with a Dilos mindset instead of getting our priorities in order and becoming Solid. We chase money like it's the most important thing in the world. And while it's certainly necessary, if money is the number one goal of any individual, or even any business, failure is surely on the horizon. To better understand the significance of the order, let's go through them backwards. Dollars. Yes, money matters. But what good is all the money in the world if you're "dumb as a box of rocks" and lack the next component, Intelligence, and don't know how to manage (or keep) your wealth? Intelligence. Let's say yo...

The New Normal

When all of this COVID, Coronavirus, and pandemic talk first started, I literally got sick of hearing the phrase, "the new normal."  I heard sermons preached talking about what is normal.  I even preached one that I titled, "The Next Normal."  But what if these "new normal" people are actually onto something? When I was growing up, a normal summer consisted of a lot of time with Mom.  She was a school teacher so we were all out for several (probably stressful) months together.  She, my brother, and sister would spent countless hours at the pool and make several trips each year to stay at my aunt's house in the lower part of the state, about 30 minutes from the beach.  That was normal for me. But now, 30ish years or so later, life for my children (and their precious little grandchildren) looks very different - almost like there's a new normal in town.   My parents worked hard, sacrificed, and saved for years before purchasing a lake house in 2010 - ...