Skip to main content

What Makes the Difference?

I have the opportunity in my profession to work with a number of different people who vary in a wide degree in age, education, and income levels.  What makes some people so "successful" while others just never seem to make it?  I believe that there are three factors that determine the difference between who you are today and who you will be in 5, 10, or 20 years.

1.  Intelligence - Education - Brainpower.  Whatever you want to call it.  Your mental ability to put skills you know into practice, and to learn new skills, will be a major factor in your future success.  For some, book smarts and intelligence just comes naturally while others have to study their tails off just to get by.  I honestly don't know how much intelligence is genetic, but I do know that numerous studies show the positive effects of reading to children from birth to age 3 when their brain is developing at a rapid rate.  But we cannot let our learning stop there.  No matter what career you go into today, the one constant of it will be change.  There will always be new technology and new regulations which require constantly re-learning how to do a particular job.

2.  Discipline - Work Ethic.  Knowing how to do something is important.  You can be the smartest person in the room or have the best idea on the planet, but if you're not willing to put in the time, effort, and work that it takes to bring that idea to fruition, it's wasted.  We've all heard stories of athletes who had all the ability in the world, but lacked the work ethic to push themselves, or lacked the discipline to stay out of trouble.  And that's just as true in the workplace and in school.  If career or classroom success comes easy for you, consider this: How much better could you be if you worked hard?  For me being as untalented as I was in sports, I've always loved the following quote, "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."  You cannot always control if you're the best, but you can control if you're the hardest working.

3.  Kindness - How you treat others.  It almost seems that this one would go without saying.  But look around at the people you hang out, those you would lend your favorite shirt to, or let borrow your car.  You work with people who treat you well, who you trust.  The same is true in business.  Larger national and regional corporations often go strictly by the numbers and due to their size it can be difficult to build personal relationships.  But in Union, a lot of deals and negotiations start based on who you know, who you trust.  Look, I'm not saying that I want to rely on the "good ole boy" system, but I am saying that if I have an opportunity to work on an investment with someone, I would choose someone who has been honest, respectful, and kind to me before over someone I have never met (assuming all other factors are similar).  As I have considered politics and what the future holds for my family and me, I was often reminded of how 'dirty' politics can be.  But consider this, how much nicer would we all be, how helpful would we all be to others if we treated everyone we came in contact with like we needed their vote - no financial rewards on the line, just being kind to earn their support?

I don't know what your goals are or where you want to be in 5, 10, or 20 years.  And there are many different forms of success, it's not all about fame, power, and money.  But I do know that in order to reach your goals, your intelligence, discipline, and kindness will all be major factors in attaining them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit