Skip to main content

Why Union?

Tuesday at Rotary, we heard from Steve Aldrich, the Director of Manufacturing Operations at Haemonetics about the new expansion at their production facility here in Union.  If I recall the statement correctly, they will be adding 100+ total jobs in several different areas to fully staff the new expansion.  It was also mentioned that Gestamp and Standard Textile are continuing to look for more workers as well.  And there is also a groundbreaking scheduled for Thursday on a new 100,000 square foot spec building that the County will be marketing towards bringing another large business to Union.

For the first time in a long time, likely since many of the textile mills were running strong, Union is not hurting for jobs.  We are hurting for workers.  There are many good jobs in Union County.  If you live here, I encourage you to go look for one.  If you live in a neighboring county, I encourage you to look for one here.  And then if you like it, I hope that you will stay a little while and consider moving to Union.

Now, is Union perfect?  No, we have our fair share of problems.  Do we have the best roads?  No, there are bridges that need attention and potholes around town.  But our hometown road crews work their tails off to clear the main roads of snow, ice, and other debris when we have severe weather.  And the local governments respond pretty quickly when asked (and funded) to make repairs.

Do we have the best schools?  No, we have received some rather low grades based on what I could find online, but that doesn't tell the story of the Union County Schools that I know.  We have some employees in the school system who are truly living legends.  Their devotion to making their students into better people is uncanny.  And I know many smart successful people who have graduated from the schools around our county and their "poor ole Union education" hasn't held them back a bit.  I believe our schools are like many around the state, they have some strengths and some weaknesses, it just depends on who you ask and what their opinion in.  Education systems are difficult to truly measure because test scores don't tell the whole story.

Do we have the best homes and neighborhoods?  No, likely won't be winning any awards there either.  But we do have a ton of options within a reasonable distance that offer nice neighborhoods, median level city housing, younger neighborhoods, older neighborhoods, and even spacious country homes with land.  The housing market is hotter in Union that I recall it being in the past 10 years.  I think most of my realtor friends are asking for listings online instead of just pushing the stale ones that have been out there for a year now.  And our cost of living is amazing.  I talked to a client the other day about homes in Charlotte where prices are $300-$400 per square foot.  While that sounds good if you're selling, it won't buy you very much and drives prices through the roof.

I believe that small towns like Union are the best places to raise a family.  We do have crime, but avoid much of the worst criminal behavior around - this is why our town is so shaken when something horrific does happen here.  We don't have every amenity in the world, but that also keeps our taxes and fees for those services lower - all those nice parks and events centers aren't cheap.  We don't have every business that we desire honestly, but we have several large cities and attractions within an hour drive without all the constant traffic.  We don't have much, and thankfully, we don't need it.  Because we have what matters, our faith and our families.

So if you're looking for a place to work, to live, to grow, why Union?  Because as a community, we are primed to start seeing more jobs, increased housing values, and continued improving higher education.  While we have our history, some of which isn't all good, we have a bright future that we are focusing on and working towards.  We can become better or become worse.  The people here, you and me, are the ones who will determine that.  I'm all in.  Your move.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit