Skip to main content

A Lucky One

I count myself one of the lucky ones.  I have been given an opportunity in my life to grow up in a great town, get an education both locally and in a neighboring small town, and then be given an opportunity to pursue a rewarding career in my hometown.  Yes, I consider being "stuck" or "left behind" in Union to make me lucky.

Nearly 13 years ago, a local company took a chance and hired a 22 year old kid not long out of college with no experience who was looking for a job primarily because I was too lazy and unmotivated to go back to school to become an accountant.  When asked why I wanted to get into banking my response was literally this, "I don't know, I just heard it's a good career to get into."  Looking back, I don't even think there was a need for the position I was hired into, but for whatever reason it happened.  And I believe that it has worked out well for both the company I work with and myself.

My message to young people, and potential employees, is this:  Pursue your dreams.  Never settle.  Keep applying.  Keep making phone calls and making connections, but don't get pushy and annoying.  I submitted 3 resumes to the same company before I got the job I still have now.  I don't know if I'll keep this job forever (or if it will keep me), but I do know that while I'm here, I will strive to grow personally and professionally while helping grow our business.  I got lucky and you can too.

My message to hiring managers, boards, and employers is this:  Hire people who want to be where you are.  Jobs are constantly changing with the changing of culture, new technology, new laws, etc.  The one constant will be the community you are located in and the work environment you offer.  Don't allow yourself to be a stepping stone job opportunity.  Make yourself a permanent landing ground that offers growth and opportunity so your employees.

Maybe today is the day that you get lucky as an employee, or maybe today is the day that you can get lucky as the employer.  But neither will happen if no one takes a chance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit