Skip to main content

It Could Have Been Me

This topic has been in my studies and on my mind for several weeks now.  I talked about it on Mother's Day at church with a friend who was party to some of the stories I could tell (don't worry I won't call you out here lol), had the pleasure of teaching it in Sunday School and even sharing with our older crowd at a Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting.


It's a story that many of us have lived, admittedly or not, proudly or not, but nevertheless we have lived it.  It's a story of transformation and renewal.  If you ask people who know me about the 2018 John Gregory, they will likely tell you many good things.  I have a successful career, a happy family, well educated, kind, polite, and serve in various roles in an effort to give back to my community.


But that wasn't always me.  Yes, I was one of the "good" kids in high school, college, and even shortly thereafter to some extent.  I never committed any major crimes and stayed out of trouble for the most part.  But to be fully honest, I have done things that easily could have landed me in jail, or worse, the morgue.  I have lied and been lied to, been taken advantage of and taken advantage of the kindness of others, been done wrong and done others wrong.  I am not nor have I ever been perfect.  But today I am different than I was 5, 10, and 15 years ago.


Why didn't I ever get caught doing something I shouldn't have and wind up with a criminal record?  Why didn't I, or someone around me, get injured or killed doing something stupid?  The only answer I can even attempt to come up with is GOD'S GRACE. 


I know who John Gregory was back then.  I know who he was in private, who he was in things didn't go his way.  I was not someone that any of you would want to be around, applaud, or ever hope that your kids would grow up to be like.  But by GOD'S GRACE, I'm not that person anymore.  Quite possibly my new favorite bible verse is this, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  The old has passed away; behold, the new has come" - 2 Corinthians 5:17.


I could, and should, thank my parents, my wife, my church, and many more people who have helped make me who I am.  But before they get any credit, God deserves it first.  Verse 18 reads, "All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation."  Yes, all those people and many more helped mold me into who I am, but it started at the top with the Creator, God.


Before we condemn the local high school kids who made a terrible choice last week, let's ask ourselves, "Could this have been me?"  Look, I agree that what they did was wrong.  But let's be sure that the punishment fits the crime.  Let's not take away someone's future for paint or food in the floor ONE time.  If there are patterns of destructive behavior, that's a different story.  But for some of these kids with very high GPA's, college dreams, and life goals, let's not take that away for getting caught up in the hype of following the crowd ONE time.  After all, if you're anything like me, it could have been you too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit