Skip to main content

I Want to Change the World - Now I May Know How

I have done a lot of observing over the past few years of my life.  Experience is a great teacher, but I believe that if I can learn from the experiences of others that I may be able to avoid some of the 'hard' lessons of life.  The lessons I've learned from watching others have certainly helped me grow and shaped some of my thoughts and beliefs.  A few of those have changed how I believed I could change the world and those thoughts are below.

1.  I used to believe that in order for me to change the world, I would need a fancy title or high ranking position.  I thought that I would have to become an executive officer, start a successful business, or make lots of money before I would have enough clout to influence those around me.  Guess what, the people I thought I needed that status to influence are often so set in their ways that nothing's going to change them.  Remember the saying, "It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks."

Through my current mid-level position at work, I've been given the opportunity to speak to and work with high school and middle school students on several occasions.  Guess what, their minds are still like sponges - willing to listen, willing to learn, willing to change.  These young people are our future and I believe that if we have more God-fearing, intelligent, honest, kind, people pouring into their lives, that our future is going to be just fine.  It's encouraging to have an opportunity to influence those who are willing to be better people.

2.  I also believed a little over two years ago that I was being called into the political arena.  The opportunity was perfect storm for the experience and circles that I was involved in.  I thought that if I wasn't going to be a CEO that if I had an elected official title, that would give me the influence I would need.  Again, those who would even care if I had that title would be so set in their ways and beliefs that it would be very challenging, to say the least, to influence any sort of change.

Then, there is the current political climate that I have observed over the past months as well.  Our justice system is based on the principal of innocent until proven guilty.  However, our hate and power fueled divisive media (on both sides) operates on the premise of:  "If we like you, you're innocent and can't be proven guilty.  If we don't like you, you are guilty and can't be proven innocent."  Sadly, that's discouraging to good people considering getting into politics and confusing for those of us who just want to know the truth when considering candidates and policies.

On an encouraging note, I don't believe that the animosity portrayed on the internet and TV is completely accurate of our two main political parties.  When I considered running for office, I was approached by both Democrats and Republicans about running under their particular party.  What does that say?  Did my values change?  No.  Either party wanted a good person and a good candidate to run.  Maybe, just maybe they're not that different and can learn to work together better in the future.


So if it doesn't seem likely that I can change the world through money, power, politics, or influence; how is changing the world possible?  The answer is simple and has been in front of me the entire time.  The world will be changed by the same thing it was changed by 2000 years ago - The Truth.

3.  "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth" - John 17:17.  Truth is such a beautifully amazing thing.  It doesn't have to be defended.  It doesn't get offended.  It's not debatable and is undeniable.  The truth IS just like God said, "I am."  Our county, our state, our country, and our world isn't going to change by one candidate or policy at a time - they're going to change one heart at a time.  It's going to be when bad people (sinners like me and you) come to know Christ and get plugged into His compassion and wisdom that the world around us will begin to change.

So how am I going to try to change the world?  One Sunday school class with 2 people at a time.  One children's church service with 6 children at a time.  One speaking opportunity with 20 students at a time.  Slowly, steadily, consistently, and rooted in Truth.

Maybe I won't see much change in the world during my lifetime, maybe I will.  But right now, I cannot deny the peace and joy that God has instilled into my life.  I have a career that allows me help people with personal, financial, and business needs - and to go out and be involved in our schools and community!  I have an opportunity in our church to share and teach the most impressionable people of all, young children.  And I get to teach and hopefully encourage and guide those going through some of the most important and decisive times in their lives - 20 and 30 year olds.  You don't need a title, money, or power to become an influencer, you simply need the truth found in God's Word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit