Skip to main content

The Teacher is Still a Student

Some may already know, but for those who don't, I've been teaching Sunday school for a little over a year or so I guess.  After starting out in your Young (and I use that term loosely lol) Adult class, Britt and I have started focusing more on the truly young adults - the College & Career Class with 20 and 30 somethings.

I'd be lying if I said that every week was easy.  It's not.  But every week is worth it.  Some weeks, I hope the class gets the most out of the lesson.  But other weeks, I know that the lesson was for me and something I've been dealing with.  Long story short, it's hard showing up week in week out prepared to teach and hopefully inspire, but when you're seeking God's will (as Jordan pointed out this morning) it doesn't matter if it's easy - you do what you've been called to do.

In this social media world, we always share our success, our cute pictures, and our wins, but what are my biggest struggles teaching?

1.  Making a "boring" lesson come to life.  Some weeks (like today previewing next week's lesson) are easy!  The verses, examples, and stories are just awesome.  But then some weeks, I read the text, read the leader guide, and then think to myself, "How am I supposed to teach and talk about this for 30 minutes?"  But somehow, most weeks it seems to come together.  I think that's one of the biggest challenges for any teacher - taking something that you've spent hours over the course of a week studying and making it relevant, exciting, and come alive in a 30 minute window on a Sunday morning.  In order for that to happen, you've got to believe it, you've got to be excited, and you've got to care about the people you're sharing God's word for their life with.

2.  Preparing for a small class.  Yes, I've put in more work when asked to preach in "Big Church" and deliver a sermon.  Yes, I've put in more study and effort to speak to larger groups of people.  We've had as many as 13 and as few as 2 in our class.  Some weeks around vacation times, I wasn't even sure if anyone was coming (including myself so I'm not fussing).  But I believe those are the weeks that I was being tested.  Yeah, my pride would ensure that I prepared when I knew a lot of people would hear me or see my work.  But was I willing to do what God asked me to for a small group?  Was I willing to care for the ONE He had planted to hear a word that day?  If you're not willing to prepare for 2, you'll never have 20.  If you're not willing to prepare for 20, you'll never have 200.  If you'll not willing to prepare for 200, you'll never have 2,000....20,000.

Some weeks, you don't know what someone who's listening to you is dealing with.  I've sat in silence knowing the words someone was sharing were speaking life into me.  I've engaged in discussions during lessons just because I liked the topic...not because it was changing my life.  As a teacher, you don't always know if those blank stares are someone who's tuned you out or someone dealing with something internally from what you've said.  Keep teaching, keep sharing, keep learning.  People are changed ONE at a time.

Thank you to Tabernacle Baptist Church for providing me with this opportunity, the resources, and the place to share each week.  Thank you to my wife for putting with my attempted quiet times to read at home, and my attempts to be early (on time) on Sunday mornings.  And thank you to everyone who has ever been in our class, is there every week, or who might come one day.  I may be standing up front most weeks (found out I have a pretty good backup this week) but I promise you I'm still trying to learn and live it out every single day myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit