Skip to main content

More than a Number

I love numbers.  It's safe to say that I'm a "numbers guy."  I always did better in math where 2 + 2 = 4 every single day instead of English where words and phrases could be interpreted with varying meanings.  And now working in banking, I still love numbers.  They make some decisions black and white where things are perfectly clear-cut.  But sometimes at work, and especially in life, it's about more than a number and we venture into gray areas.  (Note:  I could go on more here about why and how our bank does things differently than most but I don't want to risk stating something incorrectly or sharing confidential information.  If you'd like to know more, please contact me there.)

Over the past couple weeks, I have read articles from Union County and from the Union County School District discussing multiple statistics in our school system and the effects it has on economic recruitment.  Some of those statistics are alarming.  I've even had people make the comments to our family about why we send our son (and daughter once she's old enough) to public school here in Union.  Please allow me to share with you why.

Because in Union, our small hometown, YOU ARE MORE THAN A NUMBER.

Teachers
Our school system did things when I came through school that helped me get a scholarship to college that otherwise would have sent my life on a totally different path.  I had the opportunity to take the SAT in 7th grade.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Did that hurt the district test scores?  Yes, I imagine it did.  Did it begin helping me prepare for the next few years of SAT testing so that I nailed it later in high school?  You bet it did.  You see, for the teachers then (and presumably now), I was more than a number.  I was a student, among others, who had potential and was given a very early opportunity to begin preparing for a future, my future, our future.

Let's be clear, our son is only in 4k so it's not like he's studying rocket science or marine biology right now.  They are more focused on letters, simple words, and handwriting.  But honestly, his mind is not my greatest concern right now.  It's his safety and relationships with those around him.  There is a very special teacher at his school.  I don't know her name.  I wish I did and need to get it.  But almost every day, even if she's not the one who opens his door, she stops to talk to him.  I have pulled off and made it around the curve while they are still carrying on a conversation (Lord only knows about what).  Why doesn't she hurry him in so she can get the next student out?  Why does she have a smile on her face EVERY SINGLE DAY?  Is she counting how many doors she opens vs. how many doors others on duty are opening?  No.  Why?  Because these students, her students, are more than a number.

As I mentioned earlier, I love numbers.  They are easy to calculate, easy to measure, and easy to analyze.  But our children are more than numbers and test scores.  I love the measurables that testing can bring to the table.  But I hate the focus that it demands from teachers to teach toward the testing so that performance is deemed satisfactory.  One of my most impactful teachers played a game with us every week.  In 6th grade history (my least favorite subject), we played Jeopardy - boys vs. girls.  Because his style impacted how much I studied and how I learned, I was better at the age of 11 at TV Jeopardy than I am now.  Did test scores back then say that he was a good teacher?  I don't know.  Was he?  Absolutely!

Testing
What does a test measure?  Knowledge - facts and information.

But there's another level, Understanding - to perceive the intended meaning.

Then it gets deeper, Wisdom - applied knowledge.

Let me share an example.  Let's consider texting and driving.  We all have the knowledge and information that this is bad and we shouldn't do it.  But unfortunately, that knowledge doesn't always stop us from doing so.  However, if we ever get into a wreck while texting, we will gain a much deeper understanding of the dangers of texting and driving.  And then, once we have an understanding, we will be much more likely to walk in wisdom.

I don't believe that tests are bad.  But I do believe that they are limited.  They can only measure knowledge.  Understanding and Wisdom are much more difficult concepts to put a number on.

Moving Forward
So what does this mean for our County and our School District moving forward?  I believe that we all have room for improvement.  And I don't believe in ignoring the problems and opportunities that are in front of us.  But I also know that in sports, in business, in any area of life, one of the biggest "X factors" is heart.  It's difficult to measure the heart that many of these teachers have for our children and their students.  I want to look through the test scores (not past) to see what kind of an understanding and what level of wisdom is being passed on to my children from their teachers.

And if you're not from Union and you're reading this, are we perfect?  Nope.  But we are a tightknit community that cares for people, wants to see growth, and seeks improvement every day.  We may never make some random "best small towns in America" list on the internet, and honestly I don't know that I want us to.  I don't need some guy with an iPad who's visited 1,000 small towns and done a quick ride around at best to tell me about my town.  If you want to come experience Union, then come study here (USC-U, UCHS, SCC Union), work here (jobs available galore), do business here (shop local, bank local, etc.), and live here.  See it for yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit