Skip to main content

Under the Influence

What gives you a rush?  Makes you feel alive?  Or if you're struggling right now, makes you feel like you can just make it through the day?

For some of us, it's the excitement of an extreme sport, a cup of coffee, doing something we love, or the look on a loved one's face when they're filled with joy.  But for some struggling with substance abuse, it may be a drug.  It may be something you can purchase legally (like alcohol, tobacco, or marijuana in some states), something you are prescribed (like painkillers), or something purchased illegally.

I believe that we have all had times where we felt like we needed a little 'pick me up,' a boost, or some liquid courage.  Life is hard, I get it.  Unfortunately, too many people try to endure the rigors of life by relying on alcohol and drugs.  This reliance can lead to drunkenness and addiction.  But God has a better plan for our lives, a different "substance" that should be our influence.


Unpopular Opinion

Before I lose you and you say, "Oh here we go, some holy roller is going to lecture me about drinking and drugs again," let me share a little about my beliefs and where I'm coming from.  Some of this may not be a popular opinion in the church and we can talk about if you would like.  I'll try to keep this from getting too long here too.

1.  I don't have a problem with having an alcoholic drink.  Before you get too carried away, drunkenness is wrong, period.  If you have issues with alcohol, self-control, or the like then stay away - don't get too close to the edge.  If you NEED alcohol, there is a problem and you need some help there.  Some people argue that certain drinks are disgusting.  Some are.  But some are actually good, depending on your taste preferences.  If your thoughts and actions begin to be impacted or influenced by alcohol (or your desire for it) then you have crossed that line of enjoying the flavor into being influenced.  But one margarita, one Bailey's and coffee, will not condemn you to hell.

2.  I don't smoke.  Unfortunately, like many guys in high school, I smoked a few cigarettes and cigars with buddies back then to be cool.  And man we thought we were LOL.  But the coughing, the smell, the cost, just wasn't for me.  Most of us are aware of the addictiveness of nicotine and the harmful effects of tobacco on our bodies.  Which leads to the unpopular and curious question that I am left with - Given the unhealthy effects of alcohol and tobacco, and the addictiveness of nicotine, why are each of these legal and marijuana is not?

Hang on before going to far with that thought.  In many states, it is illegal and Romans 13 commands us as Christians to be "subject to governing authorities."  That means that if man's law is not contrary to God's law that we are to adhere to man's law.  If that changes and it becomes legal in SC, then the stance on the law changes.  Let me be clear here.  Again, I don't smoke...anything.  I honestly don't see me using it if becomes legal.  But I also have not been able to get a clear answer on the previous question considering its sometimes helpful/healthy benefits.  My personal opinion, is that right now there is more money and influence in politics from the tobacco and alcohol industry than from the marijuana industry.  I don't see this being about the effects of the substance, but more about which lobbyist and which company has the money and influence.


What Should Influence Us

If you're still with me, thanks.  I apologize for running down the rabbit hole.

So what should we be influenced by?  Parents?  Media?  Friends?  Others?

"Pay careful attention then, to how you live - not as unwise people but as wise - making the most of the time, because the days are evil.  So don't be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.  And don't get drunk with wine, which leads to reckless living, but be filled by the Spirit." - Ephesians 5:15-18

This has already gotten too long so here's the meat of these verses:

1.  God wants us to live abundant lives and we can do so as we walk with Him.

2.  Pay careful attention - Don't only see with your eyes but be perceptive with your mind as well.  There are landmines all around us and sometimes it takes more than our sight to detect them.

3.  Be wise by understanding God's will for your life.  The Bible does not give us specifics like what to major in or what city to live in, but we can discover God's leading on matters of life like marriage, jobs, education, and relationships.

4.  Understanding God's will involves both knowing and doing His will.  We gain wisdom by asking for it (James 1:5).

5.  Verse 18 is clear - don't get drunk with alcohol but be filled with the Holy Spirit.  So if you see me out here, just know that yes officer, I am under the influence, of the Holy Spirit.


What Happens Under the Influence

When I drank heavily, it influenced me.  I was a different person.  And now under the influence of the Holy Spirit, and through a continued walk with Christ, I am much more improved than from where I was.  

And I think most would agree that when someone is under the influence of drugs; alcohol, marijuana, meth, opioids, whatever it may be, that they are a much different person as well.

We must be aware of the areas impacted by whatever's influencing us:
Our Words:  We are all easily influenced by friends.  Whether it's to have 'just one drink' or to come to church.  What you say to your friends carries a ton of weight.  Be mindful.

Our Attitude:  We are to have an attitude of gratitude in all things.  This is possible when we are lead by the Spirit and see life from His perspective.

Our Actions:  Be compassionate and understanding to the struggles of those around you.  One day, you will likely need someone to be compassionate to you.

One of the best things about being a Christian is the amount of love, support, and help that you receive when you need it.  This comes from the local body of believers, your church.  It also comes from your faith family, whether kin by the DNA in your blood or the blood of Christ.  And it also comes from the Holy Spirit who was sent to be our helper (John 14:26).


Escaping the Influence

If you have something that's been holding you captive, confess it to God.  Lay that habit before Him and ask Him to remove the taste for it, the desire for it, the willingness to have that substance influence you.

Then, seek God's direction daily through Bible reading and prayer.  Ask him for understanding for the plan He has for your life.

Next, begin to lean on others.  Find people who you want to be like and ask them to encourage you, pray for you, and hold you accountable.

The two best ways to help someone in overcoming addiction are through your prayers and presence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit