Skip to main content

The Promise Doesn't Eliminate the Process

Last year leading up to the NBA draft, pretty much everyone in the world knew that Zion Williamson would be the #1 overall pick. It had been a foregone conclusion since the start of the college basketball season (exploding shoe situation aside). Essentially, all he had to do was play games and stay healthy and he was a lock to become a multi-millionaire and be headed to the NBA. The only mystery left to the situation was which team would wind up with the #1 pick.

Another story for a talented athlete didn't turn out so well (athletically speaking). Inky Johnson (if you haven't heard of him, look him up as soon as you finish this article) had overcome numerous obstacles in his life to become a standout defensive back at the University of Tennessee. Heading into his final season, his coaches received a letter projecting him to be a 1st round pick in the NFL. Like Zion, this would make him a professional athlete on the greatest stage and a multi-millionaire. All he had to do was play his final 10 games and stay healthy. However, his football career was cut short by a life-threatening injury.

Each of these players, with one season to go, had been given the same promise - "You're going to make it!" They had the talent and skills to be among the best athletes in the world. And people around them were reminding them of the 'promise' - you're going to make it. The only thing that remained for both players was to complete the process.

Maybe you're like me and the closest you ever came to a college scholarship was a coach asking you if you'd want to consider walking on. In full disclosure, I believe the only reason he asked me this was because I was wearing a state championship t-shirt from Union so he assumed I had to know a little bit about football.

Maybe you're a coach working your way up the ranks toward becoming a head coach one day. Or maybe you're an assistant teacher with dreams of becoming an administrator. Maybe you work in a manufacturing or some other industry with goals of making it to upper management. Maybe you're even on the brink of success and you've been given the title of 'Head Coach in Waiting.' Maybe it's a family business and you've been being groomed for this role your whole life. It may even be a career path you stumbled into and others have told you that one day you'll be an industry leader or innovator.

Someone telling you that, or even planning for it does not guarantee that it will happen. Listen to me, that's the title line - the promise does not eliminate the process. One writer put it this way - "The prophecy doesn't eliminate the work." Its great, vital really, to have a plan. But you still have to execute it. You still have to believe in it. At the end of the day, the only person who is going to be 100% responsible for your success is YOU.

Don't let the promise or destination make you comfortable. I can punch in a location on GPS and it will tell me how to get there and how long it should take, but it doesn't eliminate the drive. I still have to put in the work, the time, and the energy. And even with that, there's still the possiblity for unexpected detours and delays.

Know where you're going. Be willing to work for it. And remember that a roadblock is only a detour, not a dead end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit