Skip to main content

Fifteen Years - From "I don't know" to VP

Today, September 1st, marks fifteen years for me at Arthur State Bank. It's crazy to think about how much has changed in my personal and professional life over that time span. I've gone from a single guy whose start date was chosen because some friends and I were going to Vegas after my interview to a married man with 3 kids - none of which came from the Vegas trip LOL.

I have to be honest in saying that I truly had no idea what I was getting into even when I applied for a position at Arthur State Bank, and I told them as much. When asked why I wanted to get into banking, I literally answered, "I don't know, I just heard it's a good career to get into." Looking back, I have to ask myself, "How in the world did you get this job? Why did they hire you? What were they thinking?" A year or so ago, our bank President did make the comment in jest (at least I hope he was joking) that once I said that he knew that I was a blank slate that he could work on.

But I truly didn't know what all banks did nor did I fully understand the role they play in communities, businesses, and families. At the time, all a bank was to me was a place where my money was stored until I went there to take some out to go spend it. I hadn't had loans, I didn't understand business, and I didn't realize that banks were so much more than checking and savings accounts.

Since 2005, I've gone from "I don't know" to a Vice President in the company (a VP, not the VP - I'm not #2). I've learned that there are a lot of people behind the scenes that make things happen in a bank. I've learned that they are vital for communities and becoming even more so in today's time as increasing number of transactions involve wiring and transferring of money instead of the good ole paying someone with cash. You have to have financial institution to assist in these matters.

I consider myself fortunate to have gotten hired on with a community bank instead of one of the big banks out there as well. Do big banks have more structured leadership and management ladders? Do they pay more? From what I've been told, the answer to both is a pretty solid, yes.

But what they offer in organization and potential pay, I believe they lack in compassion and opportunity. I'm not sure how they would have felt on occasions when a family member was in an accident or sick, or my wife calls with a real emergency and I have the freedom to leave the job and go do what's more important in the moment. Listen, anytime something like that has happened, family has always taken priority and management has always been considerate and understanding never hesitating in saying, "Go." I don't believe I would have had the opportunity to meet the people, the business owners, or the students that I have in my time with ASB if I had been elsewhere.

Oh the students! If you haven't heard about ASB's Jr. Board of Directors, it may one of the best kept secrets in our company and in our town. As the Director of it (with all the real work done by Lori, the Assistant Director, or whatever titles we made up) we have had the pleasure of working with high school juniors and seniors since 2009 to help promote community involvement, financial education, and other valuable life skills. If you were one of the earlier members, I'm extremely thankful to you because of over the last couple years, we have been able to really improve the program and make it more impactful because of your feedback. This will be the first year in 11 years that we haven't been able to do it on site with the students, but hopefully we will be able to come up with a virtual option to help teach and inspire them during these trying times. I may get a little heat for putting some folks on the spot about that, but come on, we need to do it guys.

Through my position with the bank, I have met people I never would have had the opportunity to meet. I've been in meetings, breakfasts, luncheons, and rooms with people who were way above levels that I thought I could be on - CEOs, Presidents, politicians. I went from an unbelievably shy kid with no business savvy who had little desire to merely speak to people "higher up" than me to someone with minimal fear in taking a platform in front of hundreds to discuss community issues, banking issues, or just life issues in general.  Based on my own personal job interview response, clearly some young people need some coaching!  Somewhere along the way, their confidence and investment of training and knowledge in me exploded, and I am sincerely thankful for that.

What do the next 15 - 30 years hold?  Who knows with how this year has gone.  But if things can stay on the same trajectory, I believe that the future is bright, both personally and professionally - I'm hoping that the feeling is mutual.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit