Skip to main content

Taking Care of the Temple

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your bodies" - 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Everyone who knows me knows how into fitness I am.  I consider my passion for fitness to be  one of the gifts the Lord has blessed me with.  I've even been accused of being addicted to working out but I want call any names (sister).  But hey, there are plenty of worse things in the world to be addicted to so I'm good with it. 

Many people started the year off with new year's resolutions  that may or may not have already begun to fade away.  The #1 resolution this past year (according to the University of Scranton, Journal of Clinical Psychology) was to Lose Weight.  Three of the top 10 resolutions involved fitness and well being, Staying Fit and Healthy & Quit Smoking were the other two.  Where are you today with your resolution?  If you didn't make one why not start making healthier choices for your life today?  By starting now you can make your tomorrow healthier than today.  Health is not a one day thing, it's a daily grind.  To become healthy and fit, there is no get skinny quick guide or some secret diet, it has to become a lifestyle change that you truly want for yourself.

I have my "cheat meals" and even cheat days that I'll eat whatever I may be craving.  It's just a small reward for myself to help keep me going.  I compare one day of unhealthy eating to going to the gym one day a week, neither significantly impacts results.  One of my new favorites is from my mom, about a cup of oatmeal, a tablespoon or so of chocolate chips, a scoop of peanut butter, and I kick it up a notch with a little chocolate whey protein powder.  I swear it's like eating soft chewy chocolate oatmeal cookies and it takes less than 10 minutes to make. 

Ultimately, our purpose here on earth is to do God's work.  I do believe that when it's our time, it's our time.  But I also believe in not testing God and that the more we take care of our bodies, his temple, the longer we will be here on earth to serve Him and others.  Make life good, work out hard, pray hard, love hard, HAVE FUN!

 
 

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." - 1 Timothy 4:8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit