Skip to main content

Jonah in the Fish

Prior to the start of this story, Jonah has been ordered by God to go to Nineveh and tell them the word of the Lord.  However, Jonah disobeyed and wound up facing a storm and eventually being swallowed by a great fish where he has been for three days and three nights.

Now we pick up in the next part of the story.

Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the belly of the fish, "I called out to the Lord, out of my distress, and he answered me; out of the belly of Sheol I cried and you heard my voice.  For you cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, and the flood surrounded me; all your waves and your billows passed over me.  Then I said, 'I am driven away from your sight, yet I shall again look upon your holy temple.'  The waters closed in over me to take my life, the deep surrounded me, weeds were wrapped about my head at the roots of the mountains.  I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me forever, yet you brought up my life from the pit, O Lord my God.  When my life was fainting away, I remembered the Lord and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.  Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love.  But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you, what I have vowed I will pay.  Salvation belongs to the Lord!"  Then the Lord spoke to the fish and it vomited Jonah out onto dry land.

Did you notice when Jonah prayed?  He didn't pray to God until he had been in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights.  Jonah didn't call out to God until after he was in trouble.  Is that when most of us pray today, when a loved is sick, during a death, or some other tragedy?  Do we only pray to our Heavenly Father when we're in the belly of the fish?  Aren't we instructed to pray at all times.  I loved what I saw on a church sign around town recently that read, "If you only pray when you're in trouble...you're in trouble."

In the first part of Jonah's prayer, he acknowledges that God answers him.  Even in the midst of a sinful mistake, punishment from the Lord, and dire circumstances, Jonah acknowledges that the Lord answers his prayer.  Picture how upset God is with Jonah right now, Jonah wouldn't obey, nearly took down other people during his disobedience, and then it took him three days inside a fish before he prayed to God.  Yet God still answered his prayer.  And he still answers our prayers today, whether it's praising him for all the good things in our life, complaining about the things we think are bad in our life, or asking him about things we don't understand.  I'm thankful that the Lord still listens to prayers of sinners.

Look at some of the things Jonah says next: "I am driven away from your sight," "the waters closed in over me," "the deep surrounded me," the bars of the land were closing on him, and his life was fading away.  Jonah finally begins to recognize the fact that his sin has brought judgment upon him.  We see him waking up to the fact that he cannot go on in disobedience to God.  Are there any signs in your life right now that make you ask yourself if you're doing everything God is asking you to do?

And then notice what Jonah does next.  He lifts up his voice with thanksgiving, and says he will sacrifice and honor his vows to the Lord.  Does that sound familiar?  Isn't that the same thing the lost mariners did in the first part of the story when they began to fear the Lord?  Sometimes if we've let our relationship with God become weaker and distanced ourselves from him, to get that true repentance we have to get back to the basics in order to revive that relationship. 

Then as this section of the story concludes, we see the continuing power and control over nature and animals by our Heavenly Father  as He speaks to the fish and has it vomit Jonah onto dry land.  While this is a miracle, does it mean more?  What if God had just had the fish spit Jonah out in the middle of the sea?  What would have become of Jonah?  But God didn't just spare his life, He provided for this repentant sinner by placing him on dry ground, no matter how undeserving Jonah, or others who knew what he had done, felt that he was. 

If you would like to read to read this story again it is found in Jonah 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit