Skip to main content

Why are Christians so Blind?

As Christians, how can we be so blind at times to people's behavior?  How do we just look past people doing bad, even evil things, in their past and just believe that they are "okay" people going forward?  It seems like we just ignore past behavior and forget all about it.  Do we, and if so, what does it mean for us and our beliefs?  Let's look at a few men from the Bible and see what we may learn.

Moses fled from a murder charge in Egypt, and even went against the king (Pharaoh).  Yet we see that he spoke intimately with God throughout Exodus, and even freed a group of people from slavery!  He also appeared with Jesus during the transfiguration.  So did Moses have mistakes in his past?  Yes, but he overcame them through the Lord's forgiveness to achieve great success.

David committed adultery and even had a man killed, basically putting a hit out on him.  Yet David wrote much of Psalms and is called a man after God's own heart.  Was David perfect?  No, but he yearned to be closer with God, even in his imperfections.

Jonah was instructed by God to go to Nineveh, but fled in the full opposite direction.  Yet after his own life turnaround, he led a large city to repentance to God.  Was Jonah's disobedience okay?  No, it was a sin.  But did he eventually overcome it to achieve God's plan?

Saul was persecuting and even killing Christians.  Yet after his conversion on the Road to Damascus, he be came Paul, one of the most influential messengers of the Lord in his day.  He then went on to write some of the most influential letters to churches of his day and even to the church today.  Did Paul have a past that he should be ashamed of?  Absolutely.  But did he let it hold him back when the Lord chose to use him?

So how in the world should we view people who fled form murder charges, committed adultery, disobeyed God, and even killed Christians?  Well, we can be judgmental and condemn them for their actions.  Or we can dig down deep and be FORGIVING, NOT BLIND, and offer grace for past transgressions.  How do you think Jesus would handle this?  Better yet, how do you want Him to handle your past transgressions? 

Dear Heavenly Father,
I pray Lord that I can offer others the grace and mercy that you have given me.  I pray that I would let go of all grudges, and predetermined judgments of people so that I may see them the way you do.  Thank you for all the people in my life and in this world.  Thank you for having a purpose for each and every one of us.  And thank you for sending your Son to pay for my sins, a debt I could never repay.  Help me be more understanding and forgiving today.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit