Skip to main content

Annual Review - First Year Teacher

I wasn't real sure how to recap nearly one full year of officially being a Sunday school teacher so below is my best attempt to do so in an open letter to those below...

To my class, my community, and my generation:

When I asked a year or so ago about starting up a College & Career Sunday School class at church I wasn't sure how to react.  I was honored to have been considered for this role (honestly a little too honored becoming somewhat prideful and overly expectant of what would happen).  I was also excited for the opportunity to reach a group of people that has become more and more scarce in church, and even a little scared of what would happen if the class failed (or more so how I would be judged if that happened while I'm being honest here).  It was truly a gamete of mixed emotions of both hope, excitement, and fear.

I tried a few ideas my way through online invites and even trying to meet in a different room and area of the church to possibly seem more inviting but to not avail.  After several months, we still didn't have anyone new coming in.  But after a huge kickoff for summer this past May, thanks to our Sunday School Director (and biscuits - everybody loves biscuits), we finally got off the ground with some new faces of younger people.  Thirteen people showed up that first big kickoff week.  They were talking, eating, and seemingly having a good time.  I had studied.  I had a solidly prepared lesson.  I didn't like the shirt Britt said I should wear but other than that, it was perfect. 

But slowly our numbers began to fade.  We got back down to single digits, then lower single digits, then to sometimes honestly just hoping that someone would show up.  Let me pause for a moment and be clear here, I am not knocking anyone who is in, has been, or may one day be, in our class.  My wife has had to miss because of the baby sleeping late or having an ill-timed accident and we've been gone from class for vacations or other things.  I get it, life is busy.  But I want you know the commitment that I have to studying, preparing, and hopefully teaching.  I literally spend hours every week studying, even if that's not apparent at times and your showing up speaks volumes to your commitment as well.  I cannot overstate how much your presence is an encouragement to me.

I may never be the best teacher, but I want to help you get closer to Christ while going through this thing called life together and trying to get closer to Him myself.  I promise you that I will be as transparent with you as I possibly can.  I was very up front with those present one week when we came in 5 minutes late after dealing with a screaming toddler and I was not mentally prepared at that point to be a good godly example or teacher.  But I had to suck it up and do the best I could.  Thank y'all for suffering through that week.  Hopefully they will be few and far between.

So if you're college aged, a 20 something, or a 30 something, I would like to invite you to our Sunday school class.  We will study the Bible.  We will talk about life.  We will pray.  We will not judge because we've all been there.  I've been the guy who stayed out partying until 4 AM, slept a few hours, woke up, showered, and showed up all Christiany at church the next morning.  Titus 3:3-5a reads, "For we too were once foolish, disobedient, deceived, enslaved by various passions and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, detesting one another.  But when the kindness of God our Savior and his love for mankind appeared, he saved us."

If I've invited you personally, then something or someone brought you to my mind.  If I haven't, please don't be offended - I am very intent on not attempting to pull someone from another church they are plugged into and often times too afraid of rejection to invite people, though I am working on that.

And for further evidence of my imperfections, while I want anyone who can to come, we'll be out of town this Sunday for Labor Day so.....please plan to join us next Sunday, September 9th.  We usually start class at 10 AM in room 214-218 (something like that).

Oh yea, my review part.  I can honestly say that I have learned a lot in the past year.  I have gotten better at studying the Bible.  I have grown in my walk with Christ.  But as a teacher, that's not the goal, the goal is to grow and reach others and I'm not so sure how that I've done so hot there.  I give myself a "C-" for passing but below average.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit