Skip to main content

Essential vs. Non-Essential

If I've ever had a lesson that the timing of it seemed perfect for the circumstances we're facing, this may be the one.  Here is a quote from this week's Sunday school lesson:

"It is hard to know what to believe anymore.  The internet is filled with 'news' on topics that range from politics to medicine to conspiracies, and all the writers tout their stores as truth - even thought the 'facts' they present contradict each other."

And to make matters more complicated, if someone doesn't have the facts to back up their story, they encourage us to simply 'take it on faith.'  Really?

For Christians, faith in God is not jumping blindly into something we want to be true - like the latest and greatest business deal, or some near testing non FDA approved vaccine.  Faith is more than that.  It's grounded in a faithful God who can be fully trusted and is summed up very well in Hebrews 11.

What is Faith?
V1 - "Now faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen."

If we're going to say that the Christian life is a life of faith, we need to clarify what faith is.  "Faith is an inward conviction.  We trust God and know that He will do what He says He will do - because He always does."

"Faith gives us confidence."  Faith has some meat to it and gives us an assurance based on God has done and said previously.  When Britt first started leaving me home with the kids (as babies) she didn't start out with a lot of faith that I could take care of them.  Full disclosure, neither did I.  But over time, and after consistent care provided, her 'check-ins' began to have a little more time in between.  Her faith in my ability to keep the kids alive (let's be honest, that's all a dad's goal is) grew because I had done it time and time again.

Faith is the things that are hoped for and not yet seen.  However, faith in something real gets returned with the reality of it and proof - that's Godly faith.

Faith in Action
V4 - "By faith, Abel offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain did.  By faith, he was approved as a righteous man because God approved his gifts."

We all exhibit faith daily, we just don't always realize it.  Before I sit down in a chair, I have several things I can do to determine if it will support my weight.  I can inspect it.  I can compare it to similar chairs.  I can even call the manufacturer.  But there's one way that's quicker and easier - I could just sit in it.  Get this next part:

"Faith is more than an agreement with the facts.  Faith requires action."  I could tell you that this chair will support 350 lbs. but the best way to demonstrate  that faith is by sitting in it.  The same is true in our relationship with God - the way we demonstrate is by living a life of obedience.

Many people know the story of Cain and Abel.  Why did Cain kill his brother Abel in a fit of rage?  Because God accepted Abel's offering and rejected Cain's.  Think about it, how would you feel if you and your sister made your mom a Mother's Day card (since it seems like that'll be the next holiday to get moved back).  She looks at your sister's and gives her a hug and goes on and on about how beautiful it is.  Then she gets yours and responds, "Oh, this is cute."

You'd be mad too...hopefully not mad enough to kill, but still mad.  But why?  What was the difference in the cards?  Likely not much.  Sort of like we don't know how different the offerings of Cain and Abel were other than the motives in which they were given.

Abel, like the sister, spent a lot of time and energy choosing the best colors, drawing the best pictures, and cutting right on the lines.  Cain however, much like me on the card, rushed through, scribbling out a half-hearted note and crookedly folding the card in half.  Cain didn't put much thought into the offering and God knew it, so He didn't put much thought into accepting it.

Key Ingredient
There are many stories throughout the Bible about ordinary people achieving extraordinary accomplishments.  Some were wise, some were beautiful, some were strong, some were talented, but do you know what the one key ingredient was - FAITH.

V6 - "Now without faith is it impossible to please God, since the one who draws near to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him."

The writer of Hebrews made it bluntly clear that without faith, it is impossible to please God.  Why is faith such an important part of our relationship with God?

"The church has often stressed the priority of faith over works, and this passage helps us understand why faith takes priority.  Without faith, works would never happen.  There is no motivation to do anything if we don't 'believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.'"  If I didn't love my wife, why would I fold clothes, wash dishes, or any other household chore?  Without faith, without love, the works never happen - or if they do, they fade quickly.


This week, and in the face of all the uncertainty and fear over this virus, let's all go live out our faith.  Thank God for your faith.  Walk in faith.  And express your faith to others.  Faith is essential to anything we put our hearts into.  What, better yet who, is yours in?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit