Skip to main content

Money Talk - Refinancing

Over the past week, mortgage rates hit an all-time low...again.  If you didn't get in, don't fret.  They've only crept back up slightly.  For some, it makes refinancing at these ridiculous rates not as beneficial.  But for others, they still stand to save significant amounts of money by refinancing.  My recommendation - examine your budget, find an expert mortgage loan officer, and do some math.

What's Your Goal?
What's your goal from refinancing?  Do you just want to say you have a stupid low rate?  To be honest, that was part of the appeal for me - I felt like it would confirm that I was an expert.  Never mind the part that I pulled the trigger last August and refinanced then when I thought they had bottomed out.  We can watch trends and make guesses, but none of us inside or outside the industry knows exactly what rates will do in the future.

Are you looking for monthly savings (lowering your payment) or long-term savings (reducing the total amount of interest you'll pay)?  Maybe life has happened and you need to free up some cash flow - a refinance to a still low rate and extending your term may be beneficial to weather a storm for now.  Maybe you've, as one customer put it, "gotten some raises" since you bought your home and you can afford to pay a little extra for long-term savings.  Now may be the opportune time for you to lock in a low rate and rapidly eliminate your mortgage debt.

Very few refinances are "no cost."  Don't be misguided by that expression.  I always attempt to compare apples to apples by examining someone's current mortgage and comparing it to a "nothing out of pocket" refinance.  What "nothing out of pocket" means is that yes, there are closing costs, but they are being rolled into your loan.  Therefore, you are paying nothing out of pocket at closing.  I can't compare a mortgage where you have to pay $2,500 or more in closing costs up front to your current mortgage where that's not the case.  I need to make both of these as similar as possible.

Running the Numbers
How does the math work on that? Here's how it worked out for one customer.
Current Mortgage:  Payment of $499.29 x 334 remaining payments = $166,762.86
30 Year Option:  Payment of $427.09 x 360 payments = $153,752.40
20 Year Option:  Payment of $559.19 x 240 payments = $134,205.60

While it would seem crazy to go back up to a 30 year mortgage, if the customer plans to stay in the house long term, they would still actually save money.  Or they have the option to pay a little extra and save more money!

I leave escrow out of my total payment calculations for several reasons.  One, it can change.  Two, it's constant regardless of which mortgage you select - there's no lender who can negotiate a better deal with your county for lower taxes or get you a lower insurance premium.

To Refi or Not to Refi?
So is it a good time for you and your family to refinance?  It depends.  If you plan to be in your home for only another year or so, or if you already have an amazingly low rate, possibly not.  But if you intend to be there a while and can get a rate lower than what you currently have, it may be worth considering.  Again, numbers don't lie so doing the math with someone you trust will show you if refinancing is the right option for you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit