Skip to main content

Testing Builds Endurance

I read a devotion yesterday with this title by Charles Stanley that really made me think.  The scripture he used is James 1:2-4; "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete and lack nothing."

This passage of scripture has been read, taught, explained, and used many times for people facing trials in their life.  But how does it apply to our daily life when we aren't facing major difficulties?  I want to look at it from the same perspective I did my new year's goals; intellectually, physically, spiritually, and socially.

Intellectually:  If we were never given tests (school word for trial), how would we know what we have accomplished?  If we aren't measuring our minds periodically, then we have no way of knowing if we are becoming smarter, staying the same, or losing intelligence.  As much as we all hate(d) tests, they were useful to us and helped us become who we are today.

Physically:  I do not care what commercial, advertisement, or online post you see about being fit, the simple truth is this, it is not easy.  There's not an easy workout, easy diet, easy plan that makes being healthy easy.  Yes, there are plans that can help simplify the process, but it's not easy.  You can find the best workout routine in the world, but it's not easy to go to the gym every single day.  You can find the best meal plan, but it's not easy to skip some of your favorite meals, or let cheat meal become cheat weekend.  It takes hard work, dedication, and endurance.  And I believe that is why many people in the fitness community have a mutual respect for each other, even people you may not like or consider rivals, because you at least know they have put in work to get to where they are.  Every day can be a test physically, but passing those daily tests produces long-term results.

Spiritually:  When was the last time you cried out to God?  I don't mean when you were a good little boy or girl and said your prayers.  I mean really cried out to God for help or answers.  Most likely it was during some sort of tragedy.  As Christians, our faith gets tested.  The strength that we develop from those terrible things that happen in our lives is what produces "steadfastness", the withstanding of the trial until God takes care of it.  We are made "perfect" through these trials because truthfully, most of us really seek God when our world is crumbling around us.  We seek Him when we begin to realize and believe that he's all we have.  Our faith will be tested, but God will prepare and deliver us, often times by using drastic measures to get our attention. 

Socially:  No one ever wants to have fights with friends, marital problems, or issues with coworkers.  But unfortunately these things tend to happen.  You don't have to search the internet long to see stories of marriages strengthened though difficult trials like a child's illness, or the bonds that are formed by military personnel who endure extremely challenging training together.  We are going to get tested, both with other people and by other people.  But don't let the test become the end, let the lesson and the bond that you form become the end result. 

James tells us to count these things "joy."  We're not going to be happy when we go through trials but we should not lose our joy.  Happiness is based on our external circumstances, but joy comes from within. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit