Skip to main content

How Big is Your (and my) Sin?

"Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." - Romans 5:20-21

As people we have a tendency to place a difference on varying degrees of sin.  For example, I feel that it's okay for me to more judgmental, "just," and "fair" when considering punishments for murders, child abusers, rapists, etc. since my sins aren't nearly as severe as those.  Yes, I'll say something I shouldn't say at times, and have thoughts that I shouldn't have, and allow my priorities to get out of line with God's will, but I didn't kill anybody, right? 

A.W. Tozer summed it up, "Sometimes people feel that they are better than someone else because their sin is not quite as terrible.  When it comes to God and His evaluation of sin, sin is still sin, and every sin is covered by God's grace."  Did you get that short segment in the middle, sin is still sin.  God doesn't weigh sin differently as man does.  Does that mean that I'm doomed to the same fate as the murders I mentioned earlier???

God is consistent, never changing, and always faithful.  God's grace matches our degree of sin.  However bad or not so bad we may think a sin to be, He sees it all the same.  Another quote from Tozer reads, "When God said, 'abounded all the more' it does not mean that there are any degrees of God's grace or any progressiveness in God's grace.  God has no degrees, but man does.  This terminology is used for us to grasp and understand that God's grace is bigger than our ability to sin."  Whew, that last line is the lifesaver isn't it? 

When I read that the penalty of sin is death and an eternity in hell, I feel doomed, hopeless, and lost.  I don't want to pay that penalty with my life and have no other way to do so.  But thankfully, for those who have placed their faith in Jesus Christ, our debt has been paid, the penalty is taken care of, and we are given eternal life.  Only an almighty, all-powerful, loving God could and would do such a thing for a sinner like me and you.

So how big is our sin?  Honestly, if we could put it into mankind size, NASA would probably be able to study it from space.  But truth is, if you've placed your faith in Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter.  Because if you've trusted in Him, God's grace will abound all the more.  This is my praise report for today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit