Skip to main content

Maximum Efficiency = 100%

For anyone who knows me or has been around me for any amount of time, you have likely noticed that I move and operate very efficiently.  I park closest to entrances and exits, I walk the quickest or shortest path between areas, and other little things that my brain is constantly processing to save time and energy.  Now I'm not saying that I'm the fastest, smartest, or best at anything you've seen me doing.  But I am highly efficient.  I even described myself that way in my personnel review last year for work.  I believe that being efficient is a strength in a person.  But I have also learned greatly over the past few months that being too efficient can be a weakness.

To be perfectly efficient, everything must have a schedule and operate smoothly and on time.  And if that schedule gets off then everyone must work harder and go faster with no mistakes to get it back on schedule.  I've been this way at the gym, at work, at church, at most regrettably at home.  The problem with this is that when things go off schedule as the inevitably do, the "push" that I attempt to give others often causes stress.  If it doesn't stress those around me I know it at least stresses me. 

Why does such a high level of efficiency matter?  What if I told you that it often doesn't.  My mornings are often rushed and hurried not because I want to be on time for work, but because I want to be early.  I can rush Britt and Thomas, have the bags packed, lunch made, and coffee ready to go at a set time and shave 7 minutes off our morning routine.  But what does that 7 minutes really matter?  I've hardly ever been late to work (except for a barfing kid on the way to town) so I'm fine there. 

Do those extra minutes at the bank really make a difference in my productivity?  I would imagine most of us waste much more than 7 minutes a day at work as I'm sure I have.  In fact, it's impossible and dangerous to operate at maximum efficiency.  For a business to be perfectly efficient, it would need to operate with no margin.  That means it offers its services or products at such a low price for consumers that it cannot afford a breakdown, sick day, or some other mini-disaster.  Businesses must operate with a profit and some comfortable margin; it's how they pay employees, give benefits, handle overruns in expenses, and give back to their community. 

As individuals, our schedules cannot be perfectly efficient either.  One speaker described the availability of time in our schedule as breathing room.  If you plan every minute of every day of every week, what do you when you get tired or sick, when a friend needs you, or when a family member needs to talk?  This is much easier for me to write than to do, but:  Our schedules MUST have breathing room in them.  We must budget a few extra minutes to keep from running from the gym, to work, to a meeting, to a study, to clean house without a break.  We have to have time to talk to friends; to make, sustain, and grow relationships.  We have to have time to stop on the way taking our kids into school to point at the airplane, listen to the birds, or take a selfie.  Give up the 2 minutes it takes to give someone your undivided attention and see how time slows down around you when you stop to enjoy life.

Our budgets must operate the same way.  I love spreadsheets, numbers, and making it all balance.  And with the recent completion of our house, the unanticipated extra expenses, the expectancy of a little girl in November ($$$), and the new set of bills and payments, I have a spreadsheet set up that would make my business professors proud.  But after I ran pages and pages of numbers and read numerous guides to budgets, I came to one simple conclusion from a devotional.  Britt and I focused on how much we would give and how much we would save.  No, we won't always stick to it perfectly, and there will be months where we won't be able to do or buy something we want.  But by not worrying about the 15 sections of expenses, I removed a huge amount of stress while still keeping us on some sort of a budget. 

I can't promise that I won't push for a faster pace when we are getting ready to go somewhere, or that I won't stress about appointments or meetings, or that I won't stress over our finances to ensure that we are being efficient and reaching goals.  But I am working on allowing for some slow-downs along the way, and understanding that sometimes doing nothing is actually doing something.  Lance Witt wrote of a family that believed the vacation begins when you start the journey, not when you arrive.  And that mindset makes it okay to enjoy the moments along this journey we call life instead of pressing for success 100% of the time.  Lord, help me to slow down and enjoy the ride.

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of time because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:15-16

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit