Skip to main content

What Does it Take to be a Good Soldier for Christ? - Part 6

"It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops."

A soldier works hard to take care of himself.

The hard-working farmer worked during these days until the point of exhaustion.  He did not have the tools and technology that we have today.  He worked long hours in all weather conditions whether he was sick or tired.  And he had to keep himself healthy enough to work if he wanted to yield any crops. 

Active military have strict PT tests that soldiers must pass on a periodic basis to ensure they are in peak physical condition when called upon.  When a catastrophe strikes or war breaks out, they don't have 8 weeks to hit the gym or go out and brush up on their training.  It's go time!  They have to always be working and always be ready.

In our daily walk as Christians, we don't always know when we're going to be asked the hard question.  I can tell you that for me personally, it is easier to study and stand up and teach a lesson or preach a sermon than to be out on the street or in the office witnessing where you don't know what the topic of discussion is going to be.  If I want to be prepared, I must be constantly studying, constantly listening for God's voice, and constantly praying for wisdom from the Holy Spirit....constantly working hard to take care of my soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n...

Planes Fly in the Sky

Let me be very honest and candid about this - when I first read about the proposed airplane tax cut, I was not happy (just say it, I was mad!).  I thought that it was ludicrous to consider cutting tax revenue while counties are already struggling due to decreased sales and collections of local taxes.   However, unlike many people in today's culture, I didn't take to social media to start talking about how stupid the idea was and how much I disagreed with.  Instead, I started doing some research.  I looked up some information, asked some questions, had some conversations, and I learned some things. This was important for me to understand because I own a boat (I consider planes and boats luxury items) and pay Union County property taxes.  However, that boat hasn't been in Union for years.  It's housed and operated in a neighboring county.  There's not even anywhere that I can safely and legally operate my boat on public property in Union, yet I stil...

The New Normal

When all of this COVID, Coronavirus, and pandemic talk first started, I literally got sick of hearing the phrase, "the new normal."  I heard sermons preached talking about what is normal.  I even preached one that I titled, "The Next Normal."  But what if these "new normal" people are actually onto something? When I was growing up, a normal summer consisted of a lot of time with Mom.  She was a school teacher so we were all out for several (probably stressful) months together.  She, my brother, and sister would spent countless hours at the pool and make several trips each year to stay at my aunt's house in the lower part of the state, about 30 minutes from the beach.  That was normal for me. But now, 30ish years or so later, life for my children (and their precious little grandchildren) looks very different - almost like there's a new normal in town.   My parents worked hard, sacrificed, and saved for years before purchasing a lake house in 2010 - ...