Skip to main content

Who is Union?

If you listen to some news stations and read certain newspapers, studies, and online articles, you may believe that Union County is one of the poorest, most uneducated, drug ridden towns in South Carolina.  They even will often share statistics that support their claims.  I'm not saying that any of these people are lying when they share this info.  But I will state that being a numbers guy who has spent a ton of time doing calculations for many organizations, that numbers don't lie, but they can be calculated and presented in such a way that benefits one party more than another.

Numbers don't always paint the whole picture.  No, Union's test scores may not be the highest.  But some places manipulate (that's such an ugly word) their SAT scores by only allowing their smartest students to take it.  Union County Schools prepared me to score the necessary SAT score by my senior year to earn a hefty scholarship by allowing me to take it in the 7th grade for the first time.  Did that hurt our scores?  I'm sure.  But did it help the students like me who got a taste of the test that early?  Absolutely!

Do we have a drug problem in Union?  Certainly.  Any drugs is a problem.  I don't know the stats for Union but it's not just here.  CVS has just announced a plan to help combat opioid abuse.  They are a national pharmacy chain so I'm pretty sure that our drug problem in Union isn't the cause of that decision.  So yes, drugs are a problem, and we need to combat it, but it's not just here.

Are we a poor town?  Heck, the statistics sometimes say we are.  But when there is a need, Union has always gone above and beyond.  This poor town raised (if I remember right) over $250,000 to build a baseball field for the Miracle League so that special needs children, men, and women would have a place to play ball.  I've seen numerous smaller fundraisers for children and families in need that have raised more than enough when something tragic has happened.  Are we poor?  According to the studies apparently so.  But according to the results, I don't believe so.

So who is Union?  It's not a perfect town.  We have crime, corruption, and other issues.  But we are a town that today many people are wearing blue for a teenage girl having surgery for a brain tumor.  Some of us don't even know her personally.  We are a town that with everything trying to divide this country always comes together in times of need; to give, to support, to simply wear a color to show that we care about the people in our community.  We have things in our history that we are not, nor should be, proud of.  But they are no less part of our history.  That does not make them part of our future.  Union is my hometown.  It has given more to me than I have to it, but I hope to make it a better place for others today and in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 is Hindsight...Finally!

Wow, what a year! 2020 could literally be an entire decade, maybe more, of history, change, and lessons rolled up into these twelve months. While many aspects of 2020 were kind of sucky and we would like to forget them, it will certainly be a year to remember. And it will be enlightening when this year is looked back on in 10, 25, or 50 years to be discussed. I wonder if we'll seem like geniuses or idiots? Probably both to some extent! While there is so much that I could consider and analyze about this year, I'll try to break some of it down into four dimensions - Physical, Spiritual, Mental, and Social/Emotional. These are events and happenings from my world and perspective and I'm trying to be open in sharing and would love to hear from others on events you found most transforming. Physical When COVID cause gyms to close, that messed me up. Our town and state were late to be hit with severe cases and therefore later than many across the country to close up shop. I'm n

2020 Books

  I mentioned previously on Facebook that I'd share the books I've read in 2020 in case anyone is looking for a new read. Plus I figure this post can serve as one for friends to share some that they've enjoyed this past year as well. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Andrew Carnegie. This is a good book about personal development, relationships, etc. Vertical Marriage - Dave & Ann Wilson. Based on the title, obviously this was a book on marriages. While you'll see a few others on this list, this one was one of my favorites. How to Get Promoted - Anthony Park. Sorry boss! The worst part is I read this AFTER my annual review lol. It is good for people just getting their career started or working in larger corporations where you can get lost in the shuffle. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale. Great book on personal development. Leadership in Turbulent Times - Doris Kearns Goodwin. This book chronicles the life of 4 presidents, Lincol

First Blog

It's hard to decide what you want to write in your first blog since first impressions are so important.  So I figured I would start with the main reason the Brittnee and I decided to start a blog (if the name hasn't given it away) and that is the upcoming birth of our first child.  The sex hasn't been determined yet so for now it is referred to as ThomAva, a combination of the names we have selected.  So far so good with everything though as our little one gave us a thumbs up at our last ultra sound. She has also convinced me to buy a nice (female code word for expensive) camera so I'm sure there will be many more higher quality photos to come.   I always said that my, Kat's, and Jordan's childhood could have been a reality show before reality shows were cool so I look forward to using this blog to share and remember both new and old family stories.  And to hopefully share with others the blessings that God has given me over the years and as a way to wit